div problem

shadowayex

I have a <div> that gets information written in it. I have the overflow set to auto and a fixed height so the div won't expand when it gets full. But a friend of mine discovered that if he typed a really long string of letters, it would put a scroll on the bottom and you'd hve to scroll to see the whole word. I was wondering if there was a way to make it so the string would be broken if it reached the width limit.

Seems like to me you are too concern about a string of letters because normally people would not do it like this:typingonglongstringofletterswithoutspacesisonlyaproblemifsomeoneissillyenoughtodoitandiftheydosomethinglikethisthenobviouslytheyarewastingyourtimeYou could give your div a fixed width but I don't think that will work but only for some odd browsers.Of course there is word-wrap: break-word; but it doesn't work for Firefox and a few other browsers.

Well, what caused it was my buddy was testing it in IE7 and I was trying to make it faster, but I guess when I set the setInterval time to fast, it got really slow on IE and my friend typed no with a whole bunch of o's. But I suppose you're right. Besides, I added an option so admins can delete messages anyways so I could remove it without clearing the whole chat. Thanks anyways.

Archived