CSS Background Image Repeat

Lonig

So I come to you after searching endlessly for this problem. I'm not sure if it's IE7 only, but I cannot get this darn thing to work like it does on my other designs.Its simply a content div that has a repeating side div background. Very simple, and since it only pertains to a div, I'm not posting all code. I'm sure its simple, but the darn thing validated and thus I'm missing it.note: I have included the style tags in each div. I did this to ensure I wasnt linking wrong, and it IS the actual way I currently have it on the site. Eventually will work into the CSS file, but for now, I've just used style declarations.Thanks in advance, Lonig

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" /></head><body><div id="content">Content Section<br /><div style="clear:left;width:580px;height:10px;background:url('images/contenttop.png');background-color:#000000;"> <!-- top repeater --></div><div style="float:left;width:10px;height:100%;background:url('images/contentleft.png') repeat-y top;background-color:#000000;"> <!-- left repeater --></div><div style="float:left;width:560px;background-color:red;"> <!-- solid background with content -->words....<br /><br /><br /><br /></div><div style="float:left;width:10px;background:repeat url('images/contentright.png') repeat-y top;background-color:#000000;"> <!-- right repeater --></div><div style=" clear:left;width:580px;height:10px;background:url('images/contentbottom.png');"> <!-- bottom repeater --></div></div><!-- end div id=content --></body></html>

** I uploaded it to www.lonig.com/contenttest/content.php incase you are stuck like me and cannot tell whats wrong.

Your problem is that you can't use height: 100% unless the parent element has a defined height already.All these floated divs aren't really necessary, you can just nest them and the repeating backgrounds should work fine.Here's a better way to do it:

<div id="content" style="width: 580px; background-color: #000000;">Content Section<br />	  <div style="height:10px;background:url('images/contenttop.png');"> <!-- top repeater --></div>	  <div style="background:url('images/contentleft.png') repeat-y top left;"><!-- left repeater -->		<div style="background url('images/contentright.png') repeat-y top right;"><!-- right repeater -->		  <div style="margin: 0 10px; background-color: red;"> <!-- solid background with content -->			words....<br /><br /><br /><br />		  </div>		</div>	  </div>	  <div style="height:10px;background:url('images/contentbottom.png');"> <!-- bottom repeater --></div>	</div><!-- end div id=content -->

works perfect. Thanks.note to anyone else who tries the above code, put a : in the contentright.png line. Small typo that will kill the right image if you dont. That line should look like:

<div style="background: url('images/contentright.png') repeat-y top right;"><!-- right repeater -->

Thanks again Ingolme. Excellent and fast response as usual.

Archived