RSS feeds, how to update

theGuyTryingToLearn

Im trying to learn how RSS feeds work, so I made a test one. I have an index.htm page with a link to a rss.xml page. Clicking the link brings up googles RSS reader, and everything works up to that point as expected. My <title> and <description> show up.My question is, how do I update this feed?I assumed I just add / remove <item>[all the stuff that goes in the item]</item>, go back to google rss reader and hit refresh for that feed, but it comes back with the original content, not the new <item> stuff.Been playing with it for too long, given the 'simplicity' of it lol.

You add a new <item> element to it, be it dynamically or manually, and eventually readers will get the update. It's not instant, it can take a little while sometimes for RSS readers to update the feed.

Guest FirefoxRocks

I've noticed that Google RSS reader isn't very good at updating, it ALWAYS keeps all content regardless if it is removed or not. Try adding the RSS feed to Internet Explorer or Firefox (but not Opera, it does the same thing!).

Archived