preserve paragraphs

layton

How would I go about preserving paragraphs or line breaks? I can't always control the information contained within an xml node. If somebody inputs two paragraphs in a text node, it would be good to treat it as two paragraphs and not one big one.I've tried wrapping the content in CDATA and using display-output-escaping="yes" but that isn't supported by firefox and I'm looking for a cross-browser solution.I understand that doing server-side transformations may be a good way to go, but unfortunately I don't have access to a dynamic environment. Anything that I do has to be client-side.I don't think the kind of text is really out of scope for xml and there has to be a way of achieving this.Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I'm not sure I'm seeing the problem. You're having an XML input that may look like

<tag>One paragraphand a line brekAnother paragraphand another line brek</tag>

Right?And you're outputting XHTML I guess?Aren't you essentially asking how to preserve line breaks in XHTML? Is using the <pre> element acceptable?

• 1 month later...
Guest printzlau
How would I go about preserving paragraphs or line breaks? I can't always control the information contained within an xml node. If somebody inputs two paragraphs in a text node, it would be good to treat it as two paragraphs and not one big one.
I've done the following with succes:xml-file:
...<text>  <p>first</p>  <p>second</p></text>...

xsl-file:

...<xsl:for-each select="text/p">  <xsl:copy-of select="." /></xsl:for-each>...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived