Running a server.

shadowayex

I know this probably isn't the right place to post this, but there's not really a right place that I found. Anyways, I installed WAMPSERVER 2.0 on a computer and I have webpages on it and everything, but I was wondering, how do I see those pages from a different computer?

From other computers on your local network you can either type the computer name or IP in the address bar of the browser. To find out your computer name, you can right-click on My Computer and do Properties, and then click the Computer Name or Network Identification tab. To find out your IP, go to Start->Run and type 'cmd', then type 'ipconfig' in the DOS box. You should be able to type either the computer name or IP in on any computer on the same local network to access the web server. If you want to access the computer from outside the local network then you need to set up your router to forward traffic on port 80 to your server. You will want to give your computer a static IP address instead of a dynamic one, and config your router to forward traffic to that IP. How to do that depends on your specific router. Once you do that then people would get to your server if they type in your WAN IP. If you want to find out what that is, go to whatismyip.com.

Ok, I've done port forwarding before, so I kind of know my way around that. Will forwarding port 80 to my computer mess with anyone else's computer? Like would any of their applications fail or would they lose internet completely? Because there was a time where that was a major issue. And eventually, I want to move up to a domain name. How would I go about doing that?

If you assign a static ip to your computer then you should do it to all the computers on your network. That is what I had to do with my router. Doing that should be fine as long as you setup up the TCP/IP settings correctly (gateway and DNS address, etc). That shouldn't break anyone's applications unless then work on port 80.

Are there any popular applications that run on port 80 that I might have a problem with? I have 8 computers in this house, and 7 that use the network. I'm the only one in the household that goes deep into computers. Everyone else is messengers, myspace (and others similar to), pogo (and others similar to), and that type of stuff. Do I need to worry about any of that stuff?

Port 80 is HTTP traffic. If someone else has a webserver set up where port 80 is already being forwarded to them, then you will have to change that. You can only forward one port to one location. If no one else is accepting incoming traffic on port 80 then it's not a problem.

What about a domain name? How do I do that stuff?And as of right now the computer is using both wireless internet and wired in internet, just in case one dies it'll still be connected. Should I disable one? If so, which one should I stick with?

For a domain name, you need DNS records that point the domain name to your IP address. If you go to Start->Run and type 'cmd' and type 'nslookup google.com' you'll see 3 IPs listed, those are all Google servers. So a DNS record connects a domain name to one or more IP addresses. So you need a DNS control panel that you can use to say which IPs your domain names connect to. Different hosts and registrars do things different ways, I've used worldwidedns.net as a DNS service and I've registered my domains with 000domains.com. The control panel at 000domains lets me add the name servers for worldwidedns for my domain, and then I set up the records at worldwidedns to point the names to whichever IPs I want.If you want to do this from home, first figure out if your home ISP is blocking port 80, most of them block it so that customers can't host their own websites out of their house with a residential account. They usually also block port 25 so that you can't send mail out, you need to use another mail server. But if you're trying to set up a web server on a dynamic IP address, where you don't know what the IP is and it changes, then your only option is a dynamic DNS service like dyndns.

Well, my plan is to go downtown and talk to my ISP, make sure they don't mind that I run a web server and make sure they have port 80 open. Then I'm going to run around and set each computer in this house up with a static IP. From there I'm going to forward port 80 to the computer that'll become the server. I was wondering about how to check to make sure the computer's doing OK at any point in time. Like making a page on the site that checks the computers HDD space, RAM, CPU, and all that good stuff, both max and available. Is there a way to do that?And those DNS host things, do they cost a lot?

Well, my plan is to go downtown and talk to my ISP, make sure they don't mind that I run a web server and make sure they have port 80 open.
Those discussions are typically more effective if you are carrying several firearms.
Then I'm going to run around and set each computer in this house up with a static IP.
If you're inside a house, it's going to be safer if you walk.
I was wondering about how to check to make sure the computer's doing OK at any point in time.
Have you tried talking to it? Maybe it's just lonely, give it a call every now and then.
Like making a page on the site that checks the computers HDD space, RAM, CPU, and all that good stuff, both max and available. Is there a way to do that?
Use PHP's exec or passthru functions to run system commands. Go to Start->Run and type 'cmd' and then type 'systeminfo', there's one to get you started. I'm sure there's a DOS command documented online that reports hard drive space, I know it's just dying for you to search for it.
And those DNS host things, do they cost a lot?
No, and some minimal tools might be included with your hosting account. We have a standalone DNS account because we host several websites and it's handy to be able to have fine-tune control over the DNS records.

Archived