single or double quotations??

MarcP

On an "if" statement should the variables be put in parenthesis?? In an application that I wrote, the user will input information. That information will be calculated to determine the outcome. I know it's confusing. Here's a piece of code,if ($difference == 5 && $targetcolor == 10 && $tone == GB)I know it's not complete the way it is, I just took a piece that I had. The number "5" is the difference between 2 variables, $difference = $targetcolor – $existinglevel;Should the "5" the "10" and the "GB" be put in single or double quotations?Also, do I need the parenthesis, I know that Deidre's dad says that it's not a bad practice but I was just wondering.Do I need separate quotation around the text and the variables?? echo ("<b>Control for excessive warmth:</b> $cntrlamount. " " .$cntrl <p> " );Thank you in advanceMarc

You only put quotes (whether single or double) around strings. A string is text data.A number doesn't need quotes, in fact, if it has quotes it's not a number anymore.So your if command should look like this:if ($difference == 5 && $targetcolor == 10 && $tone == "GB")You can't have two strings on the same line without some kind of operator between them. Your echo statement is incorrect.You usually only need to open and close the quotes once within a string. If you decide to do something else, then you use a concatenating operater (a dot):echo ("<b>Control for excessive warmth:</b> {$cntrlamount} {$cntrl} <p> " );ORecho ("<b>Control for excessive warmth:</b>" . $cntrlamount . " " . $cntrl . "<p> " );

Then should you use concatenating in a situation like this;if ( $ns == "15 mls" && .$targetcolor. && "N" ) {$trgtclramount = "25 mls ";echo $trgtclramount;}or would it be better to put brackets around it like this;if ( ($ns == "15 mls") && ($targetcolor) && "N" ) {$trgtclramount = "25 mls ";echo $trgtclramount;}thanks for the previous quick responseMarc

This one makes no sense. Don't do this.

if ( $ns == "15 mls" && .$targetcolor. && "N" ) {$trgtclramount = "25 mls ";echo $trgtclramount;}

This one makes sense, but only if you're testing that $targetcolor has a value and "N" exists, which of course it does, so mostly it doesn't make sense.

if ( ($ns == "15 mls") && ($targetcolor) && "N" ) {$trgtclramount = "25 mls ";echo $trgtclramount;}

Do you mean if ( ($ns == "15 mls") && ($targetcolor == "N" ) )or maybe if ( $ns == "15 mls" . $targetcolor . "N" )in other words, if $ns == a big string assembled from 3 pieces?

what was I thinking??Thank you Deirdre's dad, the second example, if ( $ns == "15 mls" . $targetcolor . "N" )is what I need.I have several long strings and this will make things smootherThanx Marc

Archived