How to get last table element

aquatsr

So my SQL scripting is pretty weak, I'd appreciate some help here:I have a table, say, files, that has X number of elements in it.I want to display the information in entry X in a webpage using PHP.How do I select the last element only in an efficient manner (I can do it in a really elaborate way but I'm sure there is an easy way to do it as well)Right now I'm using something like this:

SELECT * FROM files ORDER BY file_id DESC LIMIT 0, 1

Anyone have anything better?

While I'm on the subject, any recommendations on good SQL scripting books? I have two on PHP/MySQL application database scripting, but they focus mainly on CMS building. I'm looking for something solely focused on SQL database scripting.

Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 24 Hours :)I like all the Sam books - they contain the right mix of explanations, examples, and exercises.About your first post, I can't think of anything more efficient, except to remove the zero from the LIMIT clause.

Sams Teach Yourself SQL in 24 Hours :)I like all the Sam books - they contain the right mix of explanations, examples, and exercises.About your first post, I can't think of anything more efficient, except to remove the zero from the LIMIT clause.

Archived