LAMP configuration

Albion

Hello all :)I want to learn PHP5 now and have installed the LAMP stack from the page in the Ubuntu forum (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ApacheMySQLPHP) but am stuck when it comes to Apache2 to let me run my code from my home folder (~/public_html/site_name, etc). Can anyone help me with this?Thanks in advance.A.

I have tried to add folders as virtual named hosts (rather than using IP addresses). I have saved a file with just html and body tags and a line with phpinfo in. The result is:

Not FoundThe requested URL /leofcwen/phpinfo.php was not found on this server.Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.2.4-2ubuntu5.3 with Suhosin-Patch Server at localhost Port 80
A.

It sounds like a config error with Apache, it sounds like the server isn't looking in the location where you're saving your files. Why are you adding virtual named hosts though, why not just start with one site that you can test on and go from there?

The only reason I chose that was so that I could host my files in my home folder while writing and testing the site. This is not intended to be used in a real-world situation, just for personal use so will be very low traffic.

I have that part of my LAMP working. Instead of a virtual host, I use a symbolic link (symlink). For example, to make "/var/www" (the default web directory for typical LAMP) point to "/home/albion/www" (if that's your username) you would use

ln -s /home/albion/www /var/www

That's what I've done on my own development server, and I've had no problems with it.By the way, if that doesn't help I doubt anyone here knows the answer. As far as I know, I'm the in-house Linux consultant (which is pretty scary, lol).

Archived