How much should i get payed for...

skaterdav85

So ive been asked to create a website for an engineering research group doing a study just to display their information, results, etc. Basically he wanted a professional looking site with static information, so all i'd be using is html css and javascript. He offered me $25/hr and emailed me asking me to define a budget, a number of hours needed to get this set up. What do you think would be a fair amount to tell him?

well how many hours do you think it will take? Has he given you a detailed outline of the number of pages they will need and what content will go on each page? If you are going to charge by the hour you need to know this information so you can estimate the amount of work and how long it will take you to complete it.If you are charging a lump sum for the entire project you really should get that information first anyway so you don't short change yourself.If it were me and it was a static 5 page site with relatively simple content layout then I would assume it would take me 10-15 hours (if you get into the nice shiny graphics and offering more than 1 one mockup) so I would charge in the $250 - $375 range based on him offering $25 per hour.

Ask him for 2 million dollars. If he agrees, you won't have to work again.Or figure out how long it takes to make 1 page, how many pages there are, and go from there.
haha ok. How long would it take u to create a professional looking homepage for something like that?

Well, when I set up a site personally, I get all the art I can from the client and send it over to my graphics people and they produce an interface. Once they have the interface worked out and back to me, then I cut it up into individual graphics and figure out how to piece it together into a sane page. Once I have the first page and the template created then the other pages go very quickly. I use a template system I made in PHP to split the different pieces up and rebuild them for whatever page needs to use them. So it's probably a little different how I do it personally than other people, or even how I was doing it a few years ago. For a static site without a backend I probably wouldn't charge more than $1000, depending how many pages need to be made. Most of the cost is getting the graphics produced, it doesn't take all that much effort to build the HTML. Higher quality graphics might go upwards of $2500, keep in mind that a "professional" web design firm will probably charge $20,000 for the same thing, and would probably include some search-engine optimization and stuff like that.

Well, when I set up a site personally, I get all the art I can from the client and send it over to my graphics people and they produce an interface. Once they have the interface worked out and back to me, then I cut it up into individual graphics and figure out how to piece it together into a sane page. Once I have the first page and the template created then the other pages go very quickly. I use a template system I made in PHP to split the different pieces up and rebuild them for whatever page needs to use them. So it's probably a little different how I do it personally than other people, or even how I was doing it a few years ago. For a static site without a backend I probably wouldn't charge more than $1000, depending how many pages need to be made. Most of the cost is getting the graphics produced, it doesn't take all that much effort to build the HTML. Higher quality graphics might go upwards of $2500, keep in mind that a "professional" web design firm will probably charge $20,000 for the same thing, and would probably include some search-engine optimization and stuff like that.
ok thanks. do u have any advice on making a site look 'professional'. Im still kind of new with web development so any advice would be great!

Almost all of that has to do with the graphics, which is why I prefer to use a pro graphics guy instead of trying to do it myself, art isn't my forte and I prefer to spend my time programming. Generally, go for clean and uncluttered, have as few links on the page as you need to, and try to reduce the number of clicks as much as possible to get to any page on the site. Using dropdown menus and things might help. Use a simple color scheme, if they don't already have a color scheme picked out I would suggest taking a look at something like ibm.com, IBM has spent more on marketing than most other companies make and they have a good-looking site and brand.

I've recently done two websites for two business. by businesses i mean two local businessesal-be it one is my mums business (old fashioned sweet shop) & another one is a neightbour (who does upholstery work.) i did't charge them both just for the experience & something for my portfolio but i'm always curious on how much to charge. i know it depends on the project but i guess it depends on how fast your work and if you want a high pay, customer satisfaction, returning customs or a mixture or them all?Personally i would charge just enough to cover incase they get back to you or even recommend you. i mean i've had a few people coming from the upholstery business i done.

Archived