Unable to add to Database

Paulhar

Hi All,Total newbie to ASP here so please don’t laugh. I’ve modified the sample files on this site to try and create a page (register.htm) where a user can enter some personal details which should then be added to a database (test.mdb).Clicking the ‘Add New’ button opens the member_add.asp page and then, for some reason, I get asked if I want to open or save this asp file. If I choose ‘Open’ the page flickers and nothing else happens – the new record is not added to the database.Register.htm<p>Enter Personal details to be added to the database</p><form method="post" action="c:\database_test\member_add.asp" target="_blank"><table><tr><td>First Name:</td><td><input name="Firstname"></td></tr><tr><td>Surname:</td><td><input name="Surname"></td></tr><tr><td>User Name:</td><td><input name="Username"></td></tr><tr><td>Password</td><td><input name="Pwd"></td></tr><tr></table><br /><br /><input type="submit" value="Add New"> <input type="reset" value="Cancel"></form>member_add.asp<html><body><%set conn=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")conn.Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0"conn.Open "c:\database_test\test.mdb"sql="INSERT INTO Members (Username, Firstname, Surname, Pwd) VALUES "sql=sql & "('" & Request.Form("Username") & "',"sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Firstname") & "',"sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Surname") & "',"sql=sql & "'" & Request.Form("Pwd") & "')"on error resume nextconn.Execute sql,recaffectedif err<>0 then Response.Write("No update permissions!")else Response.Write("<h3>" & recaffected & " record added</h3>")end ifconn.close%></body></html>Any help much appreciated.

<form method="post" action="c:\database_test\member_add.asp" target="_blank">You need to access ASP pages via HTTP, using a file path won't work. They need to be accessed through a web server in order for the ASP code to run.

Archived