Showing Div on top of 2 frames

Ramkumar

Hi,I have a requirement to display a div that is shown above two existing frames. It should not be restricted within the frame boundary where it originates. I cannot use iframes as this would affect my existing application infrastructure. I know that it is a security limitation of HTML, but just a shot in the dark if there is a way out. I could also see a similar example of this @ http://www.burmees.nl/ . ThanksRam.

A frame is basically a window object. All the rules about windows apply to frames. A div belongs to a document which is held inside a window. Since the document can't leave its window, the div can't leave its window. You're asking for control at the level of the browser, but all you are permitted is control at the level of the document.It can't be done.

Having just a very quick glance at your site I believe you don't even need an iframe at all.The reason you want an iframe (I'm only guessing) is because you want your centered main content to be in a box of it's own right?If that's the only reason you can actually make it VERY easily in CSS and there's no need to worry about frames interfering with the rest of your page.If there is another reason you actually need a frame at all let us know.

No, it seems to be for navigation. The standard thing. A fixed navbar on top and the frame content changes.But: Your site is very fast. With image caching, you could change the whole page with nav bar and I bet there would be minimal flicker, maybe even none. It's worth the experiment.Now, if you have PHP, you can also save yourself the trouble of pasting all your nav bar stuff at the top of the page. I'm thinking include statements. We can help with that if you like.

Archived