.txt documents

chess19

I've been working on a project in my free time in school (I've got several computer classes), it's fairly small and simple, it simply shows a specific file (Theoretically a .txt file) in a iframe, and refreshes the file periodically. (Every 5-10 seconds)Some of my friends and I have been using this script as a stand-in Instant Messenger to communicate in class. It works fine, too. (Technically, none of this is against the rules. Just a bit of a loophole)The problem is that I'd like to be able to check the content of the txt file. If the content has changed, I would like the window to be focused. The problem is that I can't seem to get at the actual text of the file. Since we obviously aren't including <html> tags at the top and bottom of our messages, I can't access it using the HTML DOM stuff I know. Is there any easy way to access the text of a .txt file when it is loaded into a frame?I would include my current code, but I do not have it on this computer, and little of it is particularly relevant to the question.The .txt file is loaded into the iframe by using

iframe.location = form.textarea.value

(Obviously I don't actually use the words form iframe or textarea, I'm just substituting). It is refreshed by recalling that line. I know there are functions for setting locations, but I had trouble with them.

Javascript can read any file in the same domain if you use AJAX to access the file. Send out an AJAX request for the file and the response that comes back will be the contents of the file. You can probably use that method to update the iframe (or use a div instead of an iframe) also. This thread has some AJAX utility functions and a description about how to use them:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=5

AJAX also can't be used across different domains, an AJAX request can only go to the same server where the HTML page is located. If you need to send an AJAX request to a remote file you'll need to create a PHP page that can act as a proxy, so you send an AJAX request to your local PHP proxy telling it what file you want, and that page sends out a request to the remote file (PHP can do that), and then sends the data back to your Javascript code.

Archived