Echoing a <textarea>

supertrucker

I have a form where a user can type something about themselves. I also have the same issue in a forum I created. The user types a topic/comment into a <textarea>, I use strip_tags() and trim() to clean it up a bit. After that, I submit the data to a SQL table. If I load the SQL data back into a <textarea>, all formatting such as carriage returns are preserved. If I just "echo" it to the screen, all cr's are lost, and everything is printed on one line. If I use the <PRE></PRE> tag, than the formatting is displayed as it should, but no word wrap is used. If I just use <P></P> then nothing is preserved just as a standard echo.Is there a solution to this? There obviously is, as these forums for instance have properly separated these two paragraphs. :)ST

Use fgets()?Reads a file line by line. Like this:

<textarea><?php$file = fopen("test.txt","r");while(! feof($file))  {  echo fgets($file). "<br />";  }fclose($file);?></textarea>

Something like that?

i know what ur talking about supertruckeri had that problem to but i solved it by saving the textarea with nothing no trim() etc...just save the raw input then create your own function to clean it i have and never have i had a problem scince!

i know what ur talking about supertruckeri had that problem to but i solved it by saving the textarea with nothing no trim() etc...just save the raw input then create your own function to clean it i have and never have i had a problem scince! only clean the function on output though not when ur saving it! Edit: woops was supposed to edit the other post not reply to it! lol

Archived