OpenGL

shadowayex

I started working with OpenGL last night. I use dev-c++ and it gave me a 2D triangle that rotates over the z-axis as a default example code. I worked with it and learned how the coloring works and how to make different shapes, how to position the vertices, and how the rotating function worked. My final result was I have a cube out of 6 squares that rotates fully over all three axes. Each square is a different color. Aside from a few bugs with the colors as it rotates around, it works fine. But I've hit a block with what I can learn from what they've given me. I want to expand so my arrow keys do the rotating. I already know the button configuration I want, I just don't know the functions to use. I looked up tutorials but most of them did me no good as they want me to edit header files I don't have >_<. It's becoming frustrating. Someone told me to use a Microsoft program, but I kind of shrugged it off because I want my finishing work to function in Windows, Linux, and maybe Mac, but not planning on going out on a whim for Mac (sorry Mac users, not a Mac guy, no hard feelings I hope?). From my experience, I've noticed that Microsoft has succeeded in making it very hard for the things you've created on their programs to work in not Microsoft programs/environments. So I didn't really want to risk it. If I am wrong, let me know. Also, I'm working in a not much extra money available environment, meaning if I want to learn anything on my own, it'll have to be through free resources. So that does put a huge damper on my thrive for knowledge. So if anyone has a good, free resource for dev-c++ or a free program with a nice resource with it that will work cross-OS (at least Windows and Linux) any help would be greatly appreciated.

When I was in university, we had a course called computer graphics where we learned basics of OpenGL programming. We used c++ and GLUT (The OpenGL Utility Toolkit).Take a look at that, on their website they have enough documentation and examples.I don't know much about it, I was not interested much on this kind of stuff so I learned just enough to pass the exam :)

I tried Nehe and none of the code would compile in Dev-Cpp or Microsoft Visual C++ 2008. I'm very very frustrated and considering quitting even trying to build programs anymore due to the eerie pattern that I keep seeing: only rich people are allowed to learn effectively. I'm extremely discouraged and have posted in their forums numerous times about the exact same problem, explained differently every time in hopes that someone will answer. I had one answer from a very rude guy saying my code was written bad and that he wouldn't help me unless i fixed it. I let him know the code was actually the same code provided by the Nehe site. He never posted back.This is a really discouraging chain of events so if anyone can come up with something to help me that wouldn't be very wonderful.

NeHe provides different versions of code depending on what compiler you are using. Did you use the correct version? I remember having compilation problems when going through the lessons. I think it was to due with missing certain libraries or using the wrong version. Can't really remember.If you want to post your code and the errors you are getting I'll try an help you out.As for the rude comments, that is pretty much par for the course when it comes to C++ programmers, I found a lot of the forum members on GameDev to be quite hostile. They seem to be a very elitist bunch. Don't let that discourage you. Hang in there.I decided to drop learning OpenGL and try to stick to C# and PHP. One of the big reasons for that decision was that both languages have very friendly and helpful communities. And C# and DirectX can do the same stuff (limited to Windows though :)).

Archived