variable

unknown gamer

Ok, I have this file that echos delete if the status isn't Administrator or Moderator. it's not exactly working. here it is:

<?php$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users");echo "<table border='1'><tr><th>id</th><th>username</th><th>status</th><th>Delete</th></tr>";while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))  {  echo "<tr>";  echo "<td>" . $row['id'] . "</td>";  echo "<td>" . "<a href=\"view.php?name={$row['username']}\">{$row['username']}</a>" . "</td>";  echo "<td>" . $row['status'] . "</td>";  echo "<td>" .$status="";if ($row['status'] == "Administrator") {$status = 1; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 1) {echo 'Admin';}if ($row['status'] == "Moderator") {$status = 2; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 2) {echo 'Mod';}if ($row['status'] != "Moderator") {$status = 3; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 3) {echo "<a href=\"delete.php?name={$row['username']}\">Delete</a>";}"</td>";  echo "</tr>";  }echo "</table>";?>

That works, but it echos delete for admins, so i add the same code but for admins:

<?php$result = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM users");echo "<table border='1'><tr><th>id</th><th>username</th><th>status</th><th>Delete</th></tr>";while($row = mysql_fetch_array($result))  {  echo "<tr>";  echo "<td>" . $row['id'] . "</td>";  echo "<td>" . "<a href=\"view.php?name={$row['username']}\">{$row['username']}</a>" . "</td>";  echo "<td>" . $row['status'] . "</td>";  echo "<td>" .$status="";if ($row['status'] == "Administrator") {$status = 1; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 1) {echo 'Admin';}if ($row['status'] == "Moderator") {$status = 2; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 2) {echo 'Mod';}if ($row['status'] != "Moderator") {$status = 3; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 3) {echo "<a href=\"delete.php?name={$row['username']}\">Delete</a>";}if ($row['status'] != "Administrator") {$status = 4; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 4) {echo "<a href=\"delete.php?name={$row['username']}\">Delete</a>";}"</td>";  echo "</tr>";  }echo "</table>";?>

then that echos Delete for all the users including admins and mods.

if ($row['status'] != "Moderator") {$status = 3; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 3) {echo "<a href=\"delete.php?name={$row['username']}\">Delete</a>";}

It's working exactly like you're telling it to. If they are not a moderator, echo the delete link. That's exactly what that code is doing. You're not testing whether or not they are an admin, only a moderator.

I don't understand. Why is there a link to the delete thing on all users?and to check i the user is not an admin I have the same code but changed Moderator to Administrator. it makes no sense to me.

Why is there a link to the delete thing on all users?
Because that's what the code is telling it to do. You have this code block:
if ($row['status'] != "Moderator") {$status = 3; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 3) {echo "<a href=\"delete.php?name={$row['username']}\">Delete</a>";}

That says to output the delete link if they are not a moderator. Right under that you have this:

if ($row['status'] != "Administrator") {$status = 4; // if an admin, set $status to one/true}if ($status== 4) {echo "<a href=\"delete.php?name={$row['username']}\">Delete</a>";}

That says to output the delete link if they are not an admin. So you are telling it to print a delete link if they are not a moderator, and also if they are not an admin. Since no one is both a moderator and an admin, it will print the link for everyone.Your code is not checking if a previous check passed. You check if they are a mod, but then when you go to check if they are an admin you don't take into account whether or not they're a mod, you're only checking if they're an admin. All of your if statements are independent, they don't check to see if a previous if statement passed. That's what an else statement is for, or you can test status the next time you check to see if status already got set.

Ok I changed it to:$status="";if ($row['status'] == "Administrator" || "Moderator") {echo 'Cannot delete.';}else{echo "<a href=\"delete.php?name={$row['username']}\">Delete</a>";} but now they all say cannot delete, this is soo confusing. Can you help me figure out how to properly write it?

Cool, forgot to add the $row['status'] I didn't know you had to do that. Also 1 more thing, how do you check if a user is in the database? I've looked forever to figure it out. <?php $user = "select username from users where username = '$username'"; $result = mysql_query($user); if(!$result){echo "this user doesn't exist! Here is a list of users.";include 'users.php'; }else {echo "Test";}?>that is the closest I could find yet it still doesn't work.

Archived