Synook - ! Try not to use frames, they are old and are soon to be obsolete.

SillyBilly

Mewhat? :)XFrames - frames revamped for XHTML.HTML 5 only has iFrames, but I don't think you shouldn't use them, for the reasons outlined in the perfectly well linked content from Natech's post.

Here are some to quote:1234
Thank you for the reply. I had done a Google search and had read some of the links. I was most concerned about the "obsolete soon". The only reference I saw was to the specifications for HTML5, but this statement appears on one of the sites that I read, "It is estimated, again by the editor, that HTML5 will reach a W3C recommendation in the year 2022 or later." That does not seem to me to be soon.My web site is a family oriented one that is not available via an Internet search, so those comments do not apply.Some of the comments refer to browser rendering, but refer to older browsers.Some of the comments refer to navigation links on every page. I use frames on the main page to hold a vertical navigation list and on the other pages place them horizontally in the body as a footer. Frames are not used on these pages. (Well there is one other page, but it does not have a nav link). I'll be changing to PHP to have the nav links appear on every page.There is no issue as far as I have experienced with the BACK button. The nav links on every page eliminate the need to use it.I don't use a JavaScript hack to make the frames work.I set up the main page without multiple scroll bars.My intention is not to raise objections to all or some of the issues that are presented in the articles. I read them carefully and have taken them into consideration. I appreciate the time both of you took to respond to my question and provide links that are relevant and appropriate. In fact, I may redo the two pages that use frames after I recode the nav links.I think for the time being that the comment found in one of the articles applies at this time,
The type of applications that frames are adequately capable of handling are those applications that don't require bookmarking, don't require search-engine indexing (and positively discourage it), and don't require the ability to be accessible to the World Wide Web. These typically are work-flow based applications that are created for a specific purpose, and not for the general Internet population.
Here is the link to my site. The pages that use frames are the main "Welcome" page, and the "How You Live Your Dash" page link near the bottom of the "In Memory" page.Visit My WebsiteThank you again.

Archived