User has option to delete

robyngae

I need to be able to display a directory and allow the user to have an option to delete the file, so need a button for each file. Will someone explain how to do this please, there are two directories involved an image one and an upload one. The image one I guess I would just use a gallery with the extra buttons.

scandir is useful also:http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.scandir.phpThat will list all of the files and folders in the target directory. You can use is_dir to check if it's a directory, and only print the files and not directories. For the delete button, you need the link to include the filename to delete. Here's an example to print files using readdir:

$directory = '/path/to/files';	$handle = opendir($directory);	while (false !== ($item = readdir($handle)))	{	  if($item != '.' && $item != '..')	  {		$path = $directory.'/'.$item;		if(!is_dir($path))		{		  echo $item . ' <a href="delete.php?f=' . urlencode($item) . '">Delete</a><br>';		}	  }	}	closedir($handle);

The delete.php file can check $_GET['f'] and use that as the filename to delete, unlink will delete a file.

these are some of the functions you would need to do thatopendir readdir unlink
Thank you I have used opendir and readdir on my main page where I list the files in the directory. I also have options for the users, one being to delete files, so this will need to link to a new page that lists the contents with a seperate delete button against each one.I don't know the name of the file being deleted so can't insert it. Would somehow have to be linked.

scandir is useful also:http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.scandir.phpThat will list all of the files and folders in the target directory. You can use is_dir to check if it's a directory, and only print the files and not directories. For the delete button, you need the link to include the filename to delete. Here's an example to print files using readdir:
	$directory = '/path/to/files';	$handle = opendir($directory);	while (false !== ($item = readdir($handle)))	{	  if($item != '.' && $item != '..')	  {		$path = $directory.'/'.$item;		if(!is_dir($path))		{		  echo $item . ' <a href="delete.php?f=' . urlencode($item) . '">Delete</a><br>';		}	  }	}	closedir($handle);

The delete.php file can check $_GET['f'] and use that as the filename to delete, unlink will delete a file.

Thanks, copied that out and it certainly going the way I want, I added $i=1; above "while" thinking it would give me a numbered list but that didn't work. I would like the delete to be a button similar to an upload button but does that mean it goes into a form? I also need to know what code I put in the delete.php file. I am relatively new to this so learning as I go.Robyn

I also need to know what code I put in the delete.php file.
<?phpunlink($_GET[$item]);echo "$item has been deleted";?>

Thanks, copied that out and it certainly going the way I want, I added $i=1; above "while" thinking it would give me a numbered list but that didn't work
	$handle = opendir($directory);	echo "<ol>";	while (false !== ($item = readdir($handle)))	{	  if($item != '.' && $item != '..')	  {		$path = $directory.'/'.$item;		if(!is_dir($path))		{		  echo "<li>" . $item . ' <a href="delete.php?f=' . urlencode($item) . '">Delete</a></li>';		}	  }	}	echo "</ol>";

<?phpunlink($_GET[$item]);echo "$item has been deleted";?>

Thanks for the help I set up a delete.php page with the above code but I am getting error message Warning: unlink() [function.unlink]: No such file or directory in /home/robyngae/public_html/ICAB5165A/delete.php on line 2has been deleted

$handle = opendir($directory);	echo "<ol>";	while (false !== ($item = readdir($handle)))	{	  if($item != '.' && $item != '..')	  {		$path = $directory.'/'.$item;		if(!is_dir($path))		{		  echo "<li>" . $item . ' <a href="delete.php?f=' . urlencode($item) . '">Delete</a></li>';		}	  }	}	echo "</ol>";

This one worked out well thank you.

Umm... look at the item on the querystring. Does it include the directory? If not, concatenate it on the unlink argument, e.g.

<?phpunlink("path/to/file/{$_GET[$item]}");echo "$item has been deleted";?>

Umm... look at the item on the querystring. Does it include the directory? If not, concatenate it on the unlink argument, e.g.
<?phpunlink("path/to/file/{$_GET[$item]}");echo "$item has been deleted";?>

Thanks did that
<?phpunlink("uploads/{$_GET[$item]}");echo "$item has been deleted";?>

but now I get the error notice Warning: unlink(uploads/) [function.unlink]: Is a directory in /home/robyngae/public_html/ICAB5165A/delete.php on line 2has been deleted Am I missing something simple? Message doesn't echo the "$item" part of the message and nothing has been deleted.Robyn

Err... does the URL you go to when you view that page look like "delete.php?f=" or "delete.php?f=filetodelete"?

Yeah it's better that the file only accept a filename, you don't want people finding a delete page and typing in various paths to see what they can do to your server (it's also not a great idea to use something from $_GET directly in a function like unlink). You can just check if the file exists first.

<?php$path = dirname(__FILE__) . '/uploads/';$f = isset($_GET['f']) ? $_GET['f'] : '';if (file_exists($path . $f) && !is_dir($path . $f)){  unlink($path . $f);  echo "$f has been deleted";}else  echo $path . $f . ' is not a file';?>

Archived