Gmail chat

astralaaron

not sure how many people have used gmail chat, but when you receive a new message the top of the browser window (normally blue, where the firefox or IE logo is) changes color to orange and back to blue, blinking back and forth to alert you... any idea how this is done?thanks in advance

There might be a way to change the colors using proprietary IE commands, but of course they won't work in Firefox or anywhere else. (And I haven't been able to find them in the first 100 or so Google entries I tried. Sorry.)What you certainly can do everywhere is create the blinking effect. Using setInterval or setTimeout, change the value of document.title from "Something" to "" (empty string). Do it every second or so.

There might be a way to change the colors using proprietary IE commands, but of course they won't work in Firefox or anywhere else. (And I haven't been able to find them in the first 100 or so Google entries I tried. Sorry.)What you certainly can do everywhere is create the blinking effect. Using setInterval or setTimeout, change the value of document.title from "Something" to "" (empty string). Do it every second or so.
they must know something we don't then :) because the only place I have seen it work is in firefox. I'm going to go try what you just wrote there thank you.

can someone let me know why this doesn't work?

<script type="text/javascript">function start(){setInterval("change();",2000);}function change(){ var a = document.title; var i = 0;  if(i == 0){  a.value="";  i = 1;  return } else {  a.value="asdf";  return }}document.onload = start;</script>

hey I was messing around and did a window.onblur = functhe function makes an "alert()" happen..when i minimize the window in firefox the tab blinks exactly like I want it too orange... but there is a popup box that I dont want to pop up... I am thinking maybe theres something else that triggers the orange blink.. does that give you any ideas??**EDIT** Actually the function sets an interval that kept makeing alerts popup ...

Interesting... I didn't find a technique that will make the window blink, but I discovered one that will make the window automatically restore itself, if it is minimized (at least in Firefox) :)

setTimeout("test = window.open(); test.close()", 5000); //will force a window restore in 5 seconds

Firefox uses the Window.getAttention method. It's probably not copatible with other browsers, so you'll have to find the one that other browsers use.Actually, it appears this method only works for "chrome" applications. Ones that run in the browser itself.

Firefox uses the Window.getAttention method. It's probably not copatible with other browsers, so you'll have to find the one that other browsers use.Actually, it appears this method only works for "chrome" applications. Ones that run in the browser itself.
thanks a lot, I knew I didn't dream it :) **hm only chrome..

Interesting... I didn't find a technique that will make the window blink, but I discovered one that will make the window automatically restore itself, if it is minimized (at least in Firefox) :)
setTimeout("test = window.open(); test.close()", 5000); //will force a window restore in 5 seconds

cool :) i have an idea for this one.I read a post somewhere about a guy complaining that his firefox stopped conveniently blinking his tab on the taskbar like it used to - someone replied about an addon to firefox..

This won't change the color, but it does create a blink effect. Notice the use of a blank space instead of an empty string. These keeps the browser from putting up a default title. Tested only in Firefox:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN"   "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html>	<head>		<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html;charset=iso-8859-1">		<title>My Title</title>		<script type="text/javascript">			function blink_title () {				if (document.title == " ") {					document.title = "My Title";				} else {					document.title = " ";				}			}			var blinking;			function toggle_blink () {				if (blinking) {					blinking = clearInterval (blinking);				} else {					blinking = setInterval ("blink_title()", 1000);				}			}			function init () {				document.getElementById("blink_button").onclick = toggle_blink;			}			window.onload = init;		</script>	</head>	<body>		<div>			<button id="blink_button">Toggle Blink</button>		</div>	</body></html>

thanks, Ill mess with it but I cant use the blinking title for this one anyway... the window has no address bar so it puts the website URL before the title on the tab.. you cant even see the title when its minimized.i read that it was a security issue so if you take the address bar off it shows the the url before title.. :)

Archived