PC Performance

inktherapy

Hi,I have a AMD X2 3600 and a 2 gb ddr2 533mhz. Should I buy AMD X2 6000+ CPU or upgrade my ram to ddr2 4gb 800mhz?I need an advise.my mobo supports all this specs.Thanks.

Hi, i'm still newbie after a long time but i really like this forum because it's web building/developing only; why do you ask this in here?but anyway, this is not a dark subject, you could just google for it, something like: 'upgrade pc performance' and i pretty sure that you will find a huge amount of info.

Depends. What do you plan to use your PC for?In general, I'd reccomend upgrading the CPU, but if you run a lot of apps in the background that rarely get queried, but must respond fast when they are, then RAM it is. Example of such case is if you have a dedicated web server (DNS, Apache and MySQL).Note that if you have 4GBs, you should also get a x64 OS in order to use them (XP x86 and Vista x86 can only handle up to 3.5GBs, and I've often seen them cause errors in such an environment). That is, use either XP x64 (NOTE: There are a lot of missing drivers for it) or Vista x64 (reccomended).That doesn't apply to the CPU - as fast as it is, it should still work fine (and at its full potential) on a 32 bit OS.(Side note: Why not upgrade both? RAM is relatively cheaper these days... if you have enough money for a CPU, waiting a few more days/weeks in order to collect enough for RAM too should be no brainer)

A note on RAM, yes, you do ideally want an x86_64 OS to support direct access to that memory, but there is always PAE if you /must/ have a 32bit OS. It's a bit of a hack, but does allow you to utilise the full 4GB (and more). Not sure what the support for this is like in Windows, but it is there.That being said, x86_64 is always a better option if you do want that 4GB of RAM.

Archived