Doctype declaration issue

son

Firefox complains about my DOCTYPE, saying there is a syntax error. My top-code is:

<?php // start output bufferingob_start();// initialize a sessionsession_start();?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Where lies my mistake? Already tried to have doctype first, but same result...Son

Is this being output with an XML MIME type?If so, you'll probably have to add this in th PHP before the DTD.
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8" />

Tried the echo, but same error message...Son

Error message?I don't know why it would show an error message unless it was parsing XML, and if it's parsing XML it shouldn't output anything at all except the error message itself.Where is the message being displayed? What does it say?

Error message?I don't know why it would show an error message unless it was parsing XML, and if it's parsing XML it shouldn't output anything at all except the error message itself.Where is the message being displayed? What does it say?
The Firefox console shows 'syntax error' relating to the doctype declaration. It does not say more... Do not understand...Son

If your page is working correctly then you don't need to pay attention to the firefox error console.It doesn't make much sense to me. Where is this page? It sounds as if Firefox was trying to parse it as Javascript.

If your page is working correctly then you don't need to pay attention to the firefox error console.It doesn't make much sense to me. Where is this page? It sounds as if Firefox was trying to parse it as Javascript.
Funny that you say that. When I remove the Javascript reference the error message disappears. I include it via:<div><script type="text/javascript" src="../assets/date.js"></script></div>The code itself is:
days = new Array(7)days[0] = "Sun";days[1] = "Mon";days[2] = "Tue";days[3] = "Wed";days[4] = "Thu";days[5] = "Fri";days[6] = "Sat";months = new Array(12)months[0] = "Jan";months[1] = "Feb";months[2] = "Mar";months[3] = "Apr";months[4] = "May";months[5] = "Jun";months[6] = "Jul";months[7] = "Aug";months[8] = "Sep";months[9] = "Oct";months[10] = "Nov";months[11] = "Dec";today = new Date();day = days[today.getDay()]month = months[today.getMonth()]date = today.getDate()if (date == 1)date = date + "st";if (date == 2)date = date + "nd";if (date == 3)date = date + "rd";if (date > 3)date = date + "th";document.write ("<span id='absolute'>" + day + " " + date + " " + month + "</span>")

Can you see anything wrong with my code?Son

I pasted your code into an xhtml document and a .js document and everything worked. I did not do anything with PHP. So something else must be going on. Maybe you just need to reboot?Then again, if you have PHP, why are you using javascript to generate the date text?

I pasted your code into an xhtml document and a .js document and everything worked. I did not do anything with PHP. So something else must be going on. Maybe you just need to reboot?Then again, if you have PHP, why are you using javascript to generate the date text?
The script tag is in body of document and I use Javascript because the date display is not essential to website's functions and I tend to use Javascript as much as I can for those things (to not have to reload). Second reason is that I have never done this server-side;-)Son

Archived