Creating an Access Databse

rayparrish

Hello,I've been wondering since I started studying ASP since it's what's available on my hosting service, whether it is possible to create an access database from scratch using only asp scripting?The reason I ask, is that I am on Ubuntu Linux, and have no way to create an access database to upload to my server which is Windows based hosting.If I could somehow create one on the server with just asp scripting, that would be great.Later, Ray Parrish

I'd have thought that the quick way is to copy an existing db use ASP to delete the data from the copy and or tables and then create new tables.http://www.w3schools.com/SQL/sql_create_table.asp
Well, that's a bit of the chicken before the egg problem. I have no existing database on the server that I'm aware of.Can I copy one from another server somewhere that doesn't belong to me? [i doubt this due to people not wanting to let go of their data...]I do have Windows XP Home as a dual boot selection on this machine, but I can't afford Microsoft Access. Is there a freeware clone of access out there anywhere?Thanks, Ray Parrish

Hello again,I've found out that I can download and empty the Microsoft example database called Northwind so I now know where to get a seed database that I can use with scripting.That pretty much solves the problem. Now to learn how to use it, I'm off to the the W3C tutorials again.Later, Ray Parrish

• 1 month later...
Have you ever done anything with open office?www.openoffice.orgIt's has a database and all the other tools like word processing etc.
Well, I've loaded a few powerpoint presentations with it when I get attachments to email in that format, and I also get earnings reports in email from Google Adsense that open in Open Office's spreadsheet. Other than that I haven't used it.I discovered that I couldn't download the Microsoft Northwind database by itself, so that's out too. I can install MySequel on Ubuntu and create a database with it, but my hosting for my web site is on a Windows server, so I don't know if that database will work with their software.I'm not currently in need of a database anyway, I just wanted to learn how to use one. I can use server side includes to load bits of files from text files on the server, and that will cover any needs I have at this time.Later, Ray Parrish

• 3 weeks later...

Archived