Slow Download Of Forms

son

Have an online form, which takes ages to load. The hosting company is in US, I am in UK. Could it be the distance or connections, which slow down the downloading of the form fields? There are some build in JavaScript functions in forms (they are given as such). How much can JavaScript incluence the download spead (they are internal scripts)?Son

It takes a lot of text (HTML, CSS, javascript) to affect download times. The usual bad guys are images and swf objects. If your total text is under 10K, I wouldn't worry about it.Connections are another story. Who knows how many hubs and routers and things lie between you and your host? Sometimes I visit a site, and what takes the longest is the DNS lookup. (When your status bar says "looking for site.com" it's looking up the IP address mapped to the domain name.)

Have an online form, which takes ages to load. The hosting company is in US, I am in UK. Could it be the distance or connections, which slow down the downloading of the form fields? There are some build in JavaScript functions in forms (they are given as such). How much can JavaScript incluence the download spead (they are internal scripts)?Son
Well, it does take time to convert from your language to American...<g, d, r>

Well, it does take time to convert from your language to American...<g, d, r>
Using Tamper Data (Plugin for Firefox, which tells you how long each element on page takes to load) I know that it is the form, which takes so long (which does not have images). The form only takes about 1275 to 1850 ms. You look at an empty page for quite some time... Am with broadband and we could replicate issue on different network in UK. One try with US user turned out to be much better (although not great). This is why I was thinking down the route of having the form travelling across the Atlantic.Would be great if anyone wants to check (best would be to have a Tamper Data comparison). Anyone volunteering, please send me a message. I will then send the website url...Son

This is why I was thinking down the route of having the form travelling across the Atlantic.
There is some pretty nasty weather happening in the US currently. Maybe some of the nodes between your server and your ISP are down due to power outages.http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/win...r-weather_N.htm

Like Illinois, for instance? :)
lol - yeah, went to bed the other night it was 47 degrees F, woke up the next morning it as 6 degree F.Today was 10 degrees.:)
Post the URL and lets see how everyone else fares.

Post the URL and lets see how everyone else fares.
It always puzzles me when people ask for help but don't provide the basic information to get the problem solved.I've been watching a customer serivice issue, related to email, in our company escalate to the point of the client getting very angry. Problem is we have responded immediately to all communications but the client can't/won't provide the information about which email addresses are not working correctly. They don't even respond to our questions (voice mail or email), just wait a couple days and then send another paniced email. In their last communication they emphasized how critical these email addresses are (but still won't tell us which ones). This has been going on since Dec 5. So glad I am not involved on this one.We have checked every one of their emails and verified there are no problems so it is most likely their Outlook settings...sad but kind of entertaining.

... It always puzzles me when people ask for help but don't provide the basic information to get the problem solved.I've been watching a customer serivice issue, related to email, in our company escalate to the point of the client getting very angry. Problem is we have responded immediately to all communications but the client can't/won't provide the information about which email addresses are not working correctly. They don't even respond to our questions (voice mail or email), just wait a couple days and then send another paniced email. In their last communication they emphasized how critical these email addresses are (but still won't tell us which ones). This has been going on since Dec 5. So glad I am not involved on this one.We have checked every one of their emails and verified there are no problems so it is most likely their Outlook settings...sad but kind of entertaining.
aspnetguy,As I said before I am happy to provide url (Son = "Would be great if anyone wants to check (best would be to have a Tamper Data comparison). Anyone volunteering, please send me a message. I will then send the website url..."), I just do not want to openly post the url of the website. I realise myself that you have to provide basic info;-)Son

Archived