Making A Button Add Text To A Textbox

Grabeorama

I have a form on my page, that I would like to have a few buttons above it.When these buttons are pressed, they should add text to the text box.For example:<input type="button" value="Make Text Bold" onclick="/*Add text to text box*/"><form><textarea cols="100" rows="5" name="message"></textarea></form>Thanks for helping :)

<html><head><script type="text/javascript">function addtext(){document.getElementById("TextArea1").innerHTML="This text was added.";}</script></head><body><input type="button" value="Add Text" onclick="addtext()"><form><textarea id="TextArea1" cols="100" rows="5" name="message"></textarea></form></body></html>

A crude method, but it get's the job done.

This is the entire code:

<html>	<head>		<title> Blog - Test </title>		<script type="text/javascript">		function addimage()			{				document.getElementById("comment").innerHTML += "This text was added.";			}		</script>	</head>		<body>		<div>HEADING</div>		<div id="contents">			Blog <br /> Games <br />		</div>				<div id="main">			<?php			 include('comments.txt');				if (isset($_REQUEST['comment']))					{						$comment 	= $_REQUEST['comment'];						$comment 	= str_replace("\n","<br />",$comment);						$comment 	= stripslashes($comment);						$name		= $_REQUEST['name'];						$name		= stripslashes($name);						$file 		= fopen("comments.txt","a+");						fwrite($file,'<p><b>Name:</b> '.$name.'<br />'.$comment.'</p><hr>');						fclose($file);						echo "<p>Thank you, your comment has been saved</p>";					}				else					{						echo "<p>Please leave a comment</p>";					}				echo "								<form action='test.php' method='post'>					Name: <input type='text' size='40' name='name'><br /><br />					Comment: <br />					<textarea cols='100' rows='5' name='comment'></textarea><br />					<input type='submit' value='Save'>				</form>";			?>		</div>	</body></html>

1. If you're going to use document.getElementById(), then you need to pass it an id, not a name. You can assign a form element both a name and an id. Anman's post did show you this, but I can see how you might have overlooked it. :)2. If you want to add text to most elements, you do mess with the innerHTML. Form elements are not like most elements, however. They usually have a value attribute, and that's what you want to mess with. The textarea is an oddball. It does not have a value attribute in HTML, because any text you want to hard code gets put between the opening and closing tags. But in javascript, a textarea does have a value property that you can read and set. So try this:document.getElementById("comment").value += "This text was added.";Now, as an afterthought, I'm wondering how consistently browsers are going to feel about value += if the value you're starting with is empty. It's working for me in FF3, but if you get funny results somewhere else, that may be something to look at.

Archived