Switch Statement Error

wilfred_phang

Hi, i tested for the switch statement example on the W3S php site. But i encountered error. <html><body><?phpswitch ($x){case 1: echo "Number 1"; break;case 2: echo "Number 2"; break;case 3: echo "Number 3"; break;default: echo "No number between 1 and 3";}?></body></html>The error message is as below:Notice: Undefined variable: x in C:\wamp\www\W3C\w3c.php on line 7Notice: Undefined variable: x in C:\wamp\www\W3C\w3c.php on line 10Notice: Undefined variable: x in C:\wamp\www\W3C\w3c.php on line 13No number between 1 and 3 Anybody can tell me how to solve this?Thanks!

The first part of the switch switch ($x) has a variable called $x . This is what is compared against each case value, so if you said that $x was equal to the number 2 then case 2 would run. The problem is that you script need to set $x to be something.You need the code below if you wanted to set $x to be 2

<?php$x = 2;switch ($x){case 1:echo "Number 1";break;case 2:echo "Number 2";break;case 3:echo "Number 3";break;default:echo "No number between 1 and 3";}?>

You can set $x to be anything and the case can be anything you want to match against

<?php$x = "Volvo";switch ($x){case Audi:echo "Audi";break;case Volvo:echo "Volvo";break;case Merc:echo "Mercedes";break;default:echo "None of these cars";}?>

Why your second example's Audi and Volvo are undefined?
Those should have been quoted, without quotes PHP thinks they are defined constants instead of values.
<?php$x = "Volvo";switch ($x){case 'Audi':echo "Audi";break;case 'Volvo':echo "Volvo";break;case 'Merc':echo "Mercedes";break;default:echo "None of these cars";}?>

Archived