Fulltext Search On Website

son

For the first time I want to have a search field on website, so user can search through all content on website, which I will store in database. I believe as far as my database is concerned I need to create the table as MyIsam type and have to set the relevant fields to "Fulltext" (heading and body text). Please correct me if I am wrong.I found on mysql.com that:For large data sets, it is much faster to load your data into a table that has no FULLTEXT index and then create the index after that, than to load data into a table that has an existing FULLTEXT index. Does this only mean that I should create db without any fulltext index, get all my data in and then set the relevant fields (heading and text) to fulltext? Not entirely sure...In addition, what search type would you recommend:There is the boolean search, the natural language search and the query expansion search. When would you use which one?Son

For the amount of data you have, it's probably not going to matter much if you define the index beforehand or not. If you have several GB of text to insert, it will be better to define the index after the inserts.Do you know what the differences are between the types of searches? They each have descriptions and examples linked from this page, all of them apply to most situations so you just have to choose one that sounds the best for you. I would probably use query expansion before natural language though.http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-search.html

For the amount of data you have, it's probably not going to matter much if you define the index beforehand or not. If you have several GB of text to insert, it will be better to define the index after the inserts.Do you know what the differences are between the types of searches? They each have descriptions and examples linked from this page, all of them apply to most situations so you just have to choose one that sounds the best for you. I would probably use query expansion before natural language though.http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/fulltext-search.html
Thanks for sharing your experience. Will have a thorough read of given url...Son

Archived