Xml (xpath) In Php - Problem Printing Values...

global.user

Hi allI was coding a php page that has to display some XML and I found out that I still hadn't found a simpler way to print values using XPATH.What I'm using:

<?php $nodes = $xp->query("/calendar/year[@year = '$year']/month[@month = '$month']/days/day[@day = '$day']/color"); foreach ($nodes as $node) { print $node->textContent . " "; } ?>

What I want to do... something like, define a function once, then calling it with the parameters... looks better and i'm less capable of errors this way.I haven't coded for a while (enjoying my summer holidays), but I do remember having spent hours on this without finding anything...So, has anyone an idea ?ThxGU

I have four actually:1. An error prone one, but useful when you're sure you want to use it is the evaluate() method:

<?php echo $xp->evaluate("/calendar/year[@year = '$year']/month[@month = '$month']/days/day[@day = '$day']/color"); ?>

2. A less error prone, but potentially confusing way is to do what XSLT does with value-of - use the first appropriate result directly:

<?php $xp->query("/calendar/year[@year = '$year']/month[@month = '$month']/days/day[@day = '$day']/color")->item(0)->nodeValue; ?>

It's potentially confusing because if the XPath maches more than one node, only the first one is displayed.3. If you want to print the whole list instead, you may go for a function like:

function printDOMNodeList(DOMNodeList $nodes) {	foreach ($nodes as $node) {		//Replace with whatever you want to happen on each node		print $node->textContent . " ";	}}

And then do:

printDOMNodeList($xp->query("/calendar/year[@year = '$year']/month[@month = '$month']/days/day[@day = '$day']/color"));

BTW, that last function could also be reused for other places where DOMNodeList is returned, like:

printDOMNodeList($dom->getElementsByTagName('year'));

4. An alternative way would be to extend the DOMNodeList, register the extender, and use that. For example:

class myDOMNodeList extends DOMNodeList {	function __toString() {		$return = '';		foreach ($this as $node) {			//Replace with whatever you want to happen on each node			$return .= $node->textContent . " ";		}		return $return;	}}

And then do:

$dom->registerNodeClass('DOMNodeList', 'myDOMNodeList');//just this once//assuming $xp is binded to the same DOMDocumentecho $xp->query("/calendar/year[@year = '$year']/month[@month = '$month']/days/day[@day = '$day']/color");

This implementation can too be used on other places where DOMNodeList is returned, like:

echo $dom->getElementsByTagName('year');

(assuming you've registered the extender as before)

Archived