How Do You Say The * In "select * From"

Synook

Just out of interest, how do you read out the * in "SELECT * FROM"? Personally I always said "ex", though I recently realized how strange that is. "Star"? "Asterisk"? "All"? Hmm... :)

Hi, I always read it "all" as that is what one is trying to do, but as they say "a rose with a ....".it could be something like "SELECT wink FROM" or "SELECT mommy FROM" :)

If I'm referring to the character "*" itself, I always say "asterisk" - "The fields marked with an asterisk are required."In the case of queries, I always say "star". "SELECT * FROM" is "select star from" and "dir *.txt" is "D-I-R star dot text".

What really irritates me is whoever wrote this:http://www.php.net/manual/en/regexp.reference.phpIf I tell you that in order to match any character at the start of a pattern that you need to use a circumflex followed by a full stop, are you going to know what I mean? Does anyone younger than Dad even know what a full stop is (you're into things like Morse code and teletype, right Dad)? For the past 20 years I've been saying "caret" and "dot", I guess I should have been saying "circumflex" and "full stop"."Uh yeah.. to delete everything just type del space asterisk full stop asterisk and then press the line feed key"And don't even get me started on "inverted commas".

Archived