Layout Issue

4D1

Hi Guys, I am still learning HTML & CSS, I am having an issue with my layout in IE & FF, I did have it working perfectly in IE and thought I would test it in FF, it seems my links accross the top are around 5px different in each browser so I have made them meet half way and the mailing list is spaced in FF, I have changed the images and been messing around with it for ages and cant get it to sit right in both browsers, can anyone identify the problem? also if anyone has any comments on the code could it be done better/cleaner? Thanks in advance

http://www.allthreads.co.uk

div.head {width: 890px;height: 100px;background-image: url('images/head_background.png');margin: auto;}table.buttons{float: right;margin-top: -2px;width: 700px;}td.images{text-align: center;font-family: arial;font-size: small;font-weight: bold;border-right: 1px solid black;}td.imageend{text-align: center;width: 220px;}img.logo{margin-left: 25px;margin-top: 3px;}div.holder{width: 890px;height: 700px;margin: auto;clear: top;}div.leftnav{height: 700px;width: 200px;border: 1px solid black;margin-top: 0px;margin-left: 0px;}div.graycell{background-color: #9999ff;width: 200px;height: 80px;float: top;}

The only link I see in the top header is a linkable image for the logo.Post a picture of the way you want the page to look.... and as for layout improvements, use divs and css rather than Tables for layout. Lots of samples around.

definitely use CSS (divs) instead of the Table design you have created.search for "3 column css layouts" and "css float" to get the positioning as you want it. May I finally add that it looks like what you're trying to achieve would be better completed in a CMS such as Joomla (other CMS are available). Take my word for it if you're going to be selling products online a CMS will be fairly useful, and it's not that hard once you get going!

Archived