Waste Of Time ?

threesticks

After learning to hand code XHTML and CSS i come across:http://www.w3schools.com/site/site_intro.aspXML - A Tool for Describing DataXSLT - A Tool for Transforming DataThis is my umpteen time at trying to post this frustration without a lot of bs from me.I have taught my self to hand code XHTML and CSS. I do not use a crutch to code.with an understanding of the word " layer`s".do you know of any book or reference that would or could show the landscape as to why, why, why this or that is necessary and how how how this and that fit and why why why would it be needed.After i have taught myself to hand code XHTML and CSS i was moving on over to PHP and MySQL, but then i came across this other page, that seemingly say`s i need to know this as well. And it just really makes me p offed the piles of code to learn to just simply get to point B.I have never come across any reference or book title that eludes to building from the dirt up and what are the pieces and what piece come first and what piece comes next and so on up to the roof.It would be nice to get around all of the innuendo bs.yes it is understandable the net and code changes every 3.5 seconds, but what is the structure. structure.Thank you

You can totally get by without that stuff.Be aware that XML is primarily a way of storing data (an alternative to SQL-type databases, for example) and an efficient way of transmitting data. Big chunks of data. Like a store. Or an employee database. This is not always obvious from the examples, which are short and make the whole enterprise look trivial.If you're not interested in databases, or if you're satisfied with your current database solution, you don't have to learn XML. Your (X)HTML functions independently of it.If you're not handling lots of data now, but might in the future, keep it in mind as a possible solution.

XML - A Tool for Describing DataXSLT - A Tool for Transforming Data
You can probably skip the XML parts (sorry, boen). In my day-to-day work, I rarely, if ever, need to use XML or XSLT. You *can* use it to describe and show data, but you don't *need* to, there are other (simpler) options.
do you know of any book or reference that would or could show the landscape as to why, why, why this or that is necessary and how how how this and that fit and why why why would it be needed.
Frankly, the answer to that usually depends on your specific project. There is a really small set of things that are required for any page (<html>, <head>, <body>, etc), everything else is pretty much up to you to use. Elements in HTML, at the highest level, are pretty much broken down into only 2 types of elements - inline and block. Inline elements can all go on the same line, you can have several images or spans side-by-side. Block elements by default go on their own line (they are a block), other elements go above or below them. Block elements include things like <div> and <hr>. You can use CSS to override how any element behaves, you could use CSS to make a div inline or an image clear on both sides.So most elements are just containers for other elements. These include div, span, p, h#, table, form, etc. Elements that don't contain other elements are things like img, input, and br. There are a few additional rules, such as a form can't contain another form, or a link can't contain another link. Most of these rules you just sort of run into along the way through practice.In terms of books, take a look through these:http://oreilly.com/pub/topic/webdesign

I have never come across any reference or book title that eludes to building from the dirt up and what are the pieces and what piece come first and what piece comes next and so on up to the roof.
That's because every project is different. I could work on 100 projects before I get to one where I have to think about accessing the file-system, or generating a PDF, or communicating with an external computer through a web service, or [name your other web-/programming-related task here]. You're not going to find a book that explains everything for you.If you're just starting out, and you've studied HTML and CSS, then the next logical step would either be to move on to client-side scripting (e.g. javascript, HTML DOM, XML DOM) or, as you've mentioned, server-side scripting (e.g. PHP). It doesn't hurt to learn that other technologies (like XML and XSLT) exist, but don't worry about learning them until you're faced with a project that needs them.

Archived