C++

gloeg

I wouldn't recommend learning C++ over the Internet, I'd recommend getting a good book (preferably the hardcopy version) instead. ##c++ on Freenode has a list of books - some of which I can vouch for myself. I'd personally say Accelerated C++ for a start.The problem with the Internet and even some books is that the quality varies drastically (and is usually very poor). If you really have to do it over the net then look at http://www.mindview.net/Books/TICPP/ThinkingInCPP2e.html

I'm not much of an expert, but the people I've spoken to about this kind of thing recommended avoiding that site. I'm not going to argue about it, because I'm just passing something on - but one thing I did notice by a brief read of the introduction is that is starts using "using namespace std;" straight away, and that's definitely poor practice for that size application. Since "using namespace" can bring in far more than you actually use, and you can end up with an overly large binary when you compile. It doesn't mention this though, doesn't mention why you would want to use that for a large application where you're using a lot of stdlib anyway, and doesn't mention the alternative which is well defined (using std::cout; using std::endl; etc).AC++ (the book I mentioned) by comparison mentions all of this when the first code samples crop up, it's also a good introduction in that it's very much focused on using the standard library, which is how all books should work, rather than spending most of their time messing around with inherited C stuff that isn't actually useful in many situations in C++.

C++ can be hard to grasp, but once you understand what your doing you will enjoy working with it, from experience I would recommend some sort of 1 to 1 tutorial from a qualified programmer its much faster and easier to grasp, the size of c++ books are crazy they are like large bricks.

Archived