Another DW problem

Kasdraven

I'm having another DreamWaver problem. I can't set the text so that when I hit enter for a new line, it deosn't skip a line. It's set in paragragh form and won't let me change it. I switch it to none or preformatted and I try to go down to the next line and it switches back to paragragh form and skips a line on me. I also can't put in a break tag because it actually pots it into the page with < and > instead of the actual code.

Either eliminate the paragraphs' margins with CSS or write your text inside the code box of Dreamwaver where you can include true <br /> tags. I don't see other way around it.[edit] I haven't tryed pmdesign's idea though. It's so crazy that it might actually work :) [/edit]

Edited by boen_robot

Either eliminate the paragraphs' margins with CSS or write your text inside the code box of Dreamwaver where you can include true <br /> tags. I don't see other way around it.[edit] I haven't tryed pmdesign's idea though. It's so crazy that it might actually work :) [/edit]

When using a lot of text editors I find that this method works...example try composing a message in Hotmail...you have ot use SHIFT+ENTER to avoid a new paragraph.It is crazy and it DOES work :)

Well it won't let me put in <br /> tags in the code editor. I tried <br /> and <br> and it formatted them into < and > the second I tried to put the cod ein myself. You know, I was wondering, could anybody set me on the right track into using CSS instead of table layouts? I know most of CSS luike the back of my hand when it coems to actual page LOOK, but I don't know how to use it for layouts. Also thanks for the help with the enter thing, it worked.

Well it won't let me put in <br /> tags in the code editor. I tried <br /> and <br> and it formatted them into < and > the second I tried to put the cod ein myself. You know, I was wondering, could anybody set me on the right track into using CSS instead of table layouts? I know most of CSS luike the back of my hand when it coems to actual page LOOK, but I don't know how to use it for layouts. Also thanks for the help with the enter thing, it worked.

try this for CSS Layoutshttp://www.aspnetguy.com/Entry.aspx?e=9

That's awsome. How many years of college did you take for it?

I went to college for 2 years...I learned basic JavaScript, XHTML, CSS,ASP,PERL, SQL,Oracle,VB6,JAVA,JSP.The Javascript and CSS were just the basics which I had taought my self earlier but XHTML was new (just a more strict HMTL syntax) as well as VB,ASP,JAVA,JSP,and PERL.For the most part I feel that learning PERL was a waste of a semester...I would hope no one who is starting out as a programmer would do PERL...it is so much slower than the newer languages like ASP and Php.I am not that big on JAVA stuff but that is just a personal preference. In actuality C# has about 60-70% of the same syntax/concepts as JAVA.I struggle for the first year trying to understand the concepts of programming and what objects and classes were. But it finally clicked. I now work as a Web Developer using XHTML,CSS,JavaScript, C#, and ASP.Net.I taught myself C# and ASP.Net after college becuase I thought it would be more useful than ASP and it got me my job :). I am now teaching myself PHP because I have had a few opportunities to get side contracts.So basically you just have ot start somewhere and expand from there as you learn new languages.Good Luck

Thanks. I'm learning XHTML right now, have been since I heard about it nad heard it was stricter than HTML, since HTMl is so messy anymore, not really that hard. I only know the basics of JS and don't know how the heck I am going to get better at it. CSS si easy when you et ahold of the syntax, and i'm not too much into programming languages like C++ or C#, and PHP is way out of my league as of yet.

Thanks. I'm learning XHTML right now, have been since I heard about it nad heard it was stricter than HTML, since HTMl is so messy anymore, not really that hard. I only know the basics of JS and don't know how the heck I am going to get better at it. CSS si easy when you et ahold of the syntax, and i'm not too much into programming languages like C++ or C#, and PHP is way out of my league as of yet.

My first course (outside of HTML) was c++, at first i thought what the ###### am i doing here and found it difficult, after a while though it does just click and everything seems to make so much sence :) Since then i have done various languages and found that c++ is similar to other languages like JavaScript and PHP, i was able to pick them up fairly quickly.I think once you understand one language then it makes the rest a bit easier, you just have to pick up on syntax changes, which can often trip me up!!For example, i'm learning ASP just now, i've been doing loops for ages in JavaScript and PHP for(i=0;1<10;++) but with ASP they are different for i=0 to 1 step 10. Things like that can be so annoying!!!

My first course (outside of HTML) was c++, at first i thought what the ###### am i doing here and found it difficult, after a while though it does just click and everything seems to make so much sence :) Since then i have done various languages and found that c++ is similar to other languages like JavaScript and PHP, i was able to pick them up fairly quickly.I think once you understand one language then it makes the rest a bit easier, you just have to pick up on sintax changes, which can often trip me up!!

loo I have heard that from a lot of people. They all said c/c++ was so hard to learn. I had just started learning it when I got offered a PHP contract so I dropped it for now.....hope to master it some day.

loo I have heard that from a lot of people. They all said c/c++ was so hard to learn. I had just started learning it when I got offered a PHP contract so I dropped it for now.....hope to master it some day.

Having looked at all the languages you said earlier then i think by now you understand OOP, that will make c++ a breeze for you.I was coming at OOP from a complete beginner and found it hard to understand what it all meant, if i had done something like JavaScript before c++ which is more web than software then i think i would have understood OOP quicker.

Having looked at all the languages you said earlier then i think by now you understand OOP, that will make c++ a breeze for you.I was coming at OOP from a complete beginner and found it hard to understand what it all meant, if i had done something like JavaScript before c++ which is more web than software then i think i would have understood OOP quicker.

I just about had an brian hemerage when learning OOP with JAVA...OOP is no problem anymore I just haven't had the time to learn c++ yet.Most of the people I had talked to were learning c++ as a first language...I can see how that could be tough.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok guys, less talk about college, more talk about solving the problem. Well, it's already been solved....oh whatever, just take it to another topic. Thanks.