Files And Their Path

scanbird

Hi FolksI am facing 2 problems with files and their full path, or say otherwise, how to get them from where I want and to place them where I want.I use DevPHP to develop, test in Firefox and MSIE, and use XAMPP 1.6.8. for the Apache Server, PHP engine, MySQL, and PHPMyAdmin.1st problem : I need to get the user to select a text file on his computer (of which I know the structure), have it read by the code then insert the value in the database.If I hard code just a filename (same directory as application path) or a full pathname (C:\Folder\SubFolder\SubSubFolder\Filename.ext) everything works fine local. I am able to open the file with $line_array=file('filename.ext')The code is done with a <form method="post">, a <input type="file"> to be able to browse and a submit button.$_POST sees only the Filename.ext. If I ask realpath($_POST), I get 'C:\Folder\SubFolder' - the rest of the path is gone so no concatenation available to create a fullpath.Working with $_FILES gives also only Filename.ext, if I add 'enctype="multipart/form-data"' to the <form> tag, the process takes as long as 'go get yourself a coffee' with no real results.I know there is no code but I want to understand the concept first, code will follow if needed in the next input.2nd problem : the code outputs strings to create a Google Earth file. I want the user to tell the application where to put the file. I tried creating a link to the file <href src="project.kml"> but instead of asking me where I want to download the file, it evaluates it because it sees it as an XML file. (for those of you not familiar with Kml first line is <?xml ... ?>).Being local, the file is outputted in the application root directory as I have full permission on it. When going remote, I don't think I would like to create specific FTP access to save the file on the server and then d/l it. And I haven't found a browse button like the one to upload (input type="file").Any suggestions or hints to help me go on?

Check the file upload section in the manual:http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.file-upload.phpTo force someone to download a file, you can have PHP send several headers before the data. You'll need to change the link to a PHP script to do that. e.g.:download.php?f=file1.kmzhttp://www.google.com/search?hl=en&cli...amp;btnG=Search

Archived