Randomising Image Movement

unplugged_web

I wonder if somebody could help me please.I'm working on a site that I want to have letters floating about in, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it. I want the letters to smoothly float around a restriced area.I've got:

m.onEnterFrame = function() {	var maxMoveValue=50;	this._x += (Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue;	this._y +=(Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue};i.onEnterFrame = function() {	var maxMoveValue=50;	this._x += (Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue;	this._y +=(Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue};s.onEnterFrame = function() {	var maxMoveValue=50;	this._x += (Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue;	this._y +=(Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue};h.onEnterFrame = function() {	var maxMoveValue=50;	this._x += (Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue;	this._y +=(Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue};m2.onEnterFrame = function() {	var maxMoveValue=50;	this._x += (Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue;	this._y +=(Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue};a.onEnterFrame = function() {	var maxMoveValue=50;	this._x += (Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue;	this._y +=(Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue};o.onEnterFrame = function() {	var maxMoveValue=50;	this._x += (Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue;	this._y +=(Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue};u.onEnterFrame = function() {	var maxMoveValue=50;	this._x += (Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue;	this._y +=(Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue};l.onEnterFrame = function() {	var maxMoveValue=50;	this._x += (Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue;	this._y +=(Math.random()-0.5)*maxMoveValue};

and it works in so much as the letters randomly move, but they move around the whole of the screen and move in a jagged way. I'd like them to move around an area that is 650 pixels wide by 220 pixel height, but am a bit lost on how to be that precise so would appreciate any help.Thanks

I assume you have a finite number of letters here ( 9 I guess), and AS 2.0> make a MovieClip which shows letters ( need not to be a textfield, can be anything, you can draw something letter and covert to movieclip)> double click it to go inside it, click its first frame, and use the following code:

var vx = 1;  //x direction 1 or -1var vy = 1;  //y direction 1 or -1var speedx = 0;  //x speedvar speedy = 0;  //y speedvar theta = Math.random()*6.38; // angle bw 0 and 2piethis._x = Math.random()*Stage.width; // place this thing randomly on stagethis._y = Math.random()*Stage.height;this.onEnterFrame = function() {		if(theta==6.38){theta = 0;} // theta cycles from 0 to 2pie	else {theta += 0.01;} // in steps of 0.01, you can vary it but carefully		// reverse direction(vx and vy) when near edges	if(this._x > Stage.width || this._x < 0 ){ vx = vx*-1;} // x bounce, limits: 0 to stage width	if(this._y > Stage.height || this._y < 0 ){ vy = vy*-1;} // y bounce, limits: 0 to stage height		speedx = Math.sin(theta); // x speed is varied sinusoidally	speedy = Math.cos(theta); // y speed is varied sinusoidally		this._x = this._x + vx*speedx; // update x pos	this._y = this._y + vy*speedy; // update y pos}

you can set other limits than Stage.width etc.now this clip should float around (quite randomly :) ) . make all your letters this way.In fact, you can put this code inside any MovieClip and it will float randomly.In case you need to create many similar things floating around , create a single movieclip like above and in main timeline ( NOT inside the clip) use the following code :

var i = 0;this.onLoad = function() {	for(i = 0; i<= 10; i++){		duplicateMovieClip(this.mymovie,"mymoviecopy" + i,this.getNextHighestDepth());	}}

here mymovie is instance name of the first clip.

Archived