Getting Started?

JacksonAK92

Hey everyone. My account was just activated, so this is my first post. I'm pretty much a complete noobie to web design. I took web design 1 last semester at my school. They taught me some basic html, but the course was pretty easy and I didn't really get into the depth that I would have liked to. This semester I'm in web design 2. We use frontpage in this course which kind of sucks because I downloaded dreamweaver at home and the interface appears to be entirely different. We have hardly used html at all this semester so it is kind of slipping from my memory... I'l get to the point...My goal is to be able to design websites for money. Not necessarily for a living. I also know a good amount about investing so my goal is to be able to fund my investing career through web design. At some point I would also like to start my own web site or web based business. A friend I know who is a very good web designer says he can make around $3000 per site. That sounds great to me. That same friend told me I should learn web design by first learning photoshop, then html and xhtml, then css, then php or javascript. Would you guys agree that this is a good pattern to learn in, and if not what would you recommend. Furthermore, what is the best way to go about learning. I'm a bit lost at the moment. I noticed there were a lot of tutorials on this site, but they didn't seem very extensive. I could probably go through the html section and understand it pretty well in 2 hours or so. Is there just not that much to know from HTML, or is that just a basic overview? I like to read a lot, are there any books that you would recommend for learning any of the things that I need to know? Also, how much photoshop do I really need to know? I don't know if I should go all out and spend a few months learning it through books and practicing, or do I just need the basics?Any guidance would be greatly appreciated at this point.

Well you're intending to make money with web-design. Ok it's an aim but don't rush it skill takes practise. You won't learn how to make a website in a week not even a month. It takes practice you need to build yourself some small websites on which u can try different things. And about the pattern of learning, well photoshop is for designing the images for you're site. That's important ofcourse but also takes alot of practice. It would be nice if u were really artistic. And because you said you wanted to make money, it would be highly recommend not too chose from javascript or PHP but both. You will need a few more technologies if you want to make a good site. And furthermore about the tutorials on w3schools.com, they have alot of information. You could have learned basic HTML in a few days but deploying it is a whole other story.

Archived