Question With Register

ChidoriSoul

I want to use the Register code, but I have some questions1. This is for more of the <div> tag, but how would I change that code to make it usable with the <div> tag2. If I use the <div> tag, will I need to make the DB?

<?phprequire_once 'db.php';$page_mode = isset($_POST['page_mode']) ? $_POST['page_mode'] : '';$error_string = '';if ($page_mode == 'register'){  $email = trim($_POST['email']); // trim to remove whitespace  $name = trim($_POST['name']); // trim to remove whitespace  $password = $_POST['password'];  $conf_password = $_POST['conf_password'];  if (!isValidEmail($email))    $error_string .= 'Please enter a valid email address.<br>';  if ($name == '')    $error_string .= 'Please enter your name.<br>';  if (strlen(trim($password)) < 6)    $error_string .= 'You must enter a password of at least 6 characters.<br>';  if ($password != $conf_password)    $error_string .= 'The password and confirmation password do not match.<br>';  if ($error_string == '')  {    $result = db_query("SELECT id FROM users WHERE email='" . mysql_real_escape_string($email) . "'");    if (mysql_num_rows($result) > 0)      $error_string .= 'That email address is already registerd.<br>';    else    {      $email = mysql_real_escape_string($email); // protect against SQL attacks      $name = mysql_real_escape_string($name);      $password = sha1($password); // hash password            db_query("INSERT INTO users (email, name, password) VALUES ('{$email}', '{$name}', '{$password}')");      header('Location: thankyou.php');      exit();    }  }}function isValidEmail($email = ''){    return preg_match("/^[\d\w\/+!=#|$?%{^&}*`'~-][\d\w\/\.+!=#|$?%{^&}*`'~-]*@[A-Z0-9][A-Z0-9.-]{1,61}[A-Z0-9]\.[A-Z]{2,6}$/ix",$email);}?><!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd"><html>  <head>    <title>Register</title>    <style type="text/css">    .error_text {      color: #FF0000;      width: 400px;      text-align: center;    }    .left_box {      float: left;      width: 150px;      text-align: right;      padding-right: 5px;    }    .right_box {      clear: right;    }    </style>  </head>  <body>    <div class="error_text"><?php echo $error_string; ?></div>    <form action="register.php" method="post">    <input type="hidden" name="page_mode" value="register">    <div class="left_box">Email address</div>    <div class="right_box"><input type="text" name="email" size="30" maxlength="255" value="<?php if (isset($email)) echo $email; ?>"></div>    <div class="left_box">Name</div>    <div class="right_box"><input type="text" name="name" size="30" maxlength="255" value="<?php if (isset($name)) echo $name; ?>"></div>    <div class="left_box">Password</div>    <div class="right_box"><input type="password" name="password" size="30"></div>    <div class="left_box">Confirm Password</div>    <div class="right_box"><input type="password" name="conf_password" size="30"></div>    <div class="left_box"> </div>    <div class="right_box"><input type="submit" value="Register" size="30"></div>    </form>  </body></html>

They say you can use a <div> tag instead of PHP (well, thats what my friend said) and I was wondering how I could do that.Man, now I have to make a DB when I have no idea how tobtw. I gave you a Cookie

They say you can use a <div> tag instead of PHP (well, thats what my friend said)
That makes no sense at all. PHP is a programming environment. A <div> tag is part of a page-markup environment. PHP is executed on your server. HTML is rendered on your browser. In any case, a tag is just a little thing. It cannot replace an entire script or database.It's possible that your friend was trying to explain the difference between a traditional database, like mysql, and an XML document. XML is a data storage language that looks a lot like HTML, in the sense that data is stored between <tags>. But it's not as simple as using a <div> tag. Learning how to use XML would be as complicated as learning how to use mysql.There are no shortcuts to this process.

Archived