Submitting A Form Using Js Onclick

Grabeorama

I would like to submit a form when the user clicks a link.So like:

<a href="<?php echo $_SERVER['php_self'] ?>" onclick="submit_form()" >Vote</a>

I'm guessing I would need to use a function ("Submit_form()"). The input fields I have are hidden, as the value I want to send is fixed.Any help is appreciated.Thanks :)

Thanks that works perfectly.How would I pass a value through onclick as well?e.g.If "Yes" is clicked put "1" into the input field.If "No" is clicked put "2" into the input field.Yes and no are two different strings displayed on the page.What I'm trying to do is depending on which is clicked, a value would be put into the input field and the form would be sent.

As an option, use no form at all. Your link could simply have a query string (which can be generated in PHP the same way you're probably generating the values of your hidden inputs.) Something like this:<a href="<?php echo $_SERVER['php_self'] . '?value=' . $my_val ?>" >Vote</a>And then your script would expect the data in $_GET['value'] .EDIT. I posted before I saw you had reposted, but the same technique can be applied.

So go back to your submit_form() function. A simplified version might look like this:

function submit_form(val) {	var f = document.getElementById("the_form");	f.my_field.value = val;	f.submit();}

And your html would look something like this (I'm stripping out the PHP for clarity) -- you can still use onclick if you need to:

<a href="java script:submit_form('1');" >Vote for 1</a><a href="java script:submit_form('2');" >Vote for 2</a>

Remember to delete the space in java script. :)

Archived