Looping Through Form To Replace Values

xjx424

Hi, I am trying to use "replace" to remove dollar signs and commas from input values by looping through the elements. I'm pretty sure I have to use an array in an array to do so but can't figure it out.Here's what I have:

function removeStuff(){	for(j=0; j<document.form1.elements.length; j++) {	remove = new Array("$", ",");		for(i=0; i<remove.length; i++) {			newValue = document.form1.elements[j].value.replace(remove[i],"");		}	}alert(newValue);}

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?Thanks!

You're not doing anything with newValue after you do the replacement. You should assign it back to the form element. Also, you should move the definition of the remove array out of the loop, there's no reason to redefine it every time through the loop.

you're working too hard, the replace method can take a regular expression as its input, try this

<script language="javascript" >function removeStuff(){	var oElements =  document.getElementById("form1").elements	for (j=0; j < oElements.length; j++)	{		oElements[j].value = oElements[j].value.replace(/[$,]/g,'')	}}</script><form id="form1">	<input type="text" name="text1" />	<input type="text" name="text2" />	<button onClick="removeStuff()">RemoveStuff</button></form>

that's pretty much what I came up with. Just changed

for(j=0; j<document.form1.elements.length; j++) {	remove = new Array("$", ",");		for(i=0; i<remove.length; i++) {			newValue = document.form1.elements[j].value.replace(remove[i],"");		}	}

to

remove = new RegExp("[\$,]","g");	for(j=0;j<document.form1.elements.length;; j++) {		newValue = document.form1.elements[j].value.replace(remove,"");			}

Thanks

Archived