Uploaded Index.htm... It Works, But...

glopal

Hello,My first real post... check out my intro here.So I'm working on this website for this organization. They have their internet service through Shaw Cable (Big ISP up here in Canada). Anyways, since they have a business account, they have webspace that was until recently unused.So, to test it out, I FTP the index page to where it's supposed to go, I set the website to an active status through this manager. And then I type in the url.... "Page cannot be found".... F5....."Page cannot be found."Initially I figured it wasn't working, but then I realized it's working, but not for this IP. Like I had a few other people test it out, and they see it. Then I tried accessing the site through a proxy, and I saw it.Now I'm just confused... why can't I see it, do you think it might have to do with Shaw... like they don't bother sending pages to the owners? Just strange...Any ideas?--Mike

The ISP hosts it, so I suppose that this IP does technically host the website. I tried to use the IP in the address bar, but that didn't work. I've been doing some reading and I sort of understand why I can't see it, but I have no idea how to fix it. For the moment I'm just using sites like hidemyass.com to see it.

An IP doesn't host a site, an IP is assigned to a connection, and a server uses a connection. So a server has one or more IPs assigned to it, but the IP is only an address, it doesn't "do" anything. If the server is not hosted on your local network, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to access that domain like any other. Your ISP will assign one IP to whatever your server is, and another IP for your building, they aren't going to be on the same IP. Each IP only applies to a single connection. If you tried to access the domain before it was set up correctly, then you might have a cached DNS lookup pointing to the wrong place. If that's the case it will fix itself once the cache expires. You can also manually do a DNS lookup and figure out if it's pointing to the right place. You can open the command prompt and use the nslookup tool to do a DNS lookup, you would type "nslookup google.com" to look up the IP for google.com, for example. You can also use ping or tracert to see if your machine can even reach the server. If the server your site is hosted on is a shared server, it's probably not going to work to access it via IP because there would be many domains hosted on the same IP and it wouldn't know which one you're looking for, it would load whichever domain is set as the default.

An IP doesn't host a site, an IP is assigned to a connection, and a server uses a connection. So a server has one or more IPs assigned to it, but the IP is only an address, it doesn't "do" anything. If the server is not hosted on your local network, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to access that domain like any other. Your ISP will assign one IP to whatever your server is, and another IP for your building, they aren't going to be on the same IP. Each IP only applies to a single connection. If you tried to access the domain before it was set up correctly, then you might have a cached DNS lookup pointing to the wrong place. If that's the case it will fix itself once the cache expires. You can also manually do a DNS lookup and figure out if it's pointing to the right place. You can open the command prompt and use the nslookup tool to do a DNS lookup, you would type "nslookup google.com" to look up the IP for google.com, for example. You can also use ping or tracert to see if your machine can even reach the server. If the server your site is hosted on is a shared server, it's probably not going to work to access it via IP because there would be many domains hosted on the same IP and it wouldn't know which one you're looking for, it would load whichever domain is set as the default.
Thanks for the explanation, that makes sense. So I did a nslookup on the site, well, did one on google first to see it was working, so...lookup.gifWhat do you make of that?

It looks like you have a DNS problem, the DNS server you're using is 191.100.1.8 and it's pointing to itself for the domain. I get the IP for your domain as 64.59.128.198, not 191.100.1.8. If the DNS records for that domain were recently changed that nameserver might still be using the old records, it takes up to 48 hours for that to get updated.

It looks like you have a DNS problem, the DNS server you're using is 191.100.1.8 and it's pointing to itself for the domain. I get the IP for your domain as 64.59.128.198, not 191.100.1.8. If the DNS records for that domain were recently changed that nameserver might still be using the old records, it takes up to 48 hours for that to get updated.
Hmm, well hopefully its one of those things where it will just work in a couple days then.I tried typing 64.59.128.198 in my browser but it just comes up with this "Shaw Internet for Business Web Server" page. Oh well.Thanks for your help. I'll let you know if it starts working.

Archived