Misalligned Slices When Inserting Flash Video

AustinW

I'm building a basic html web page and attempting to insert either a .flv or .swf file. The aspect ratio of the video is 640 x 480, the same as the underlying gif. I'm new to web design and Dreamweaver so please excuse the lack of knowlege. I exported the video from Premier as a .flv, then publish it in Flash 8 as a .swf. My method of adding the video has been to insert it before a background element (gif based on photoshop slice) that's exactly the same dimensions as the video, 640 x 480. I have only recently discovered the slice tool in Photoshop, and am assuming that when adding custom buttons or videos in Dreamweaver, I should replace same-size gifs. Is this the correct method? No matter how I tweak the page in DW, I get a gap at the top or bottom of my video, which causes other background gifs on my page to not line up. Here's the page http://luminousink.com/bizport.htmlWhen previously building a site, I inserted Layout Objects, then inserted the video. I discovered however that depending on each computer's screen resolution, the elements on my site would shift all over the place. So far on this site, inserting rollover buttons that are the same size as the background slices has worked, without causing any shifting. But now, when trying to do the same thing with Flash video, the background gifs become misalligned.What is the correct way to insert video into a page and prevent if from shifting? Do I need to put in a table? Thanks for your help.

If you want a page to look correct you're going to have to code it yourself. These things happen when you let other programs write the HTML for you.Making a website out of a conglomeration of images is not very efficient.

If you want a page to look correct you're going to have to code it yourself. These things happen when you let other programs write the HTML for you.Making a website out of a conglomeration of images is not very efficient.
Thanks for your reply. Can you see anything in the code of http://luminousink.com/bizport.html that would cause the rest of the page to misallign?

There are many things involved in how a page looks. There are too many factors to count on.

1. Your page doesn't use the stylesheets for more than some links and default page style settings.
  2. Your page is running in quirks mode because of the lack of a Document Type Declaration, this means that rather than following standards, the browsers are reverting to rendering pages the way they used to 10 years ago.
  3. Your table structure is too complex. Tables aren't meant for layout, but I usually don't tell people they should change the layout, but because your table is so large and complex it is definitely going to have trouble rendering in any browser.

One good reason to not use tables is that, of all the elements, tables are the only things that Internet Explorer 6 and 7 don't render correctly even when running in standards compliant mode.

Archived