Combinaton Where Clause

son

I try to get all data displayed other than two ids. My query is:SELECT category_id, parent_id, category FROM categories WHERE category_id != 1 OR category_id != 3 ORDER BY parent_idHow do you actually have a working query that actually discards category_id 1 and 3. This one displays them all and only works when I take the OR out...Son

A logical OR condition is true as long as any of the two operands evaluate to true.Give 1 as the category_id:

1. The first condition evaluates to false: category_id != 1 is false because category_id is actually 1
  2. However, the second condition evaluates to true: category_id != 3 is true, because 1 != 3
  3. Now that you have the answers to the two conditions, evaluate them with the OR operator:true OR falseSince at least one of them is true when category_id = 1, the row is taken.

Use the AND operator instead:if category_id is not 1 AND it is not 3, then select the row.

A logical OR condition is true as long as any of the two operands evaluate to true.Give 1 as the category_id:
  1. The first condition evaluates to false: category_id != 1 is false because category_id is actually 1
  2. However, the second condition evaluates to true: category_id != 3 is true, because 1 != 3
  3. Now that you have the answers to the two conditions, evaluate them with the OR operator:true OR falseSince at least one of them is true when category_id = 1, the row is taken.

Use the AND operator instead:if category_id is not 1 AND it is not 3, then select the row.

Got you and have it working asSELECT category_id, parent_id, category FROM categories WHERE (category_id != 1 AND category_id != 3) ORDER BY category_idMany thanks,Son

Archived