Table Drop-down Menu Help

Galen

I thought I had this one figured out but ran into a new problem. I'm trying to get a CSS drop-down using tables, which I thought would make it easier to get the borders implemented. I've tried two techniques:1. Using diplay: none / block. This works, but in any browser but IE the revealed TDs are only the length of the text, not the entire row. I might be able to fix this cosmetically but the whole row is no longer clickable, which is what the .navlink class is meant for. Putting width: 100% for the td has no effect. Using pixels does work, but I want to keep the width of the bars relative.2. Using visibility: hidden / visible (this was my fix). This looks fine on all browsers, but the hover works for the invisible portion as well. This is presumbably because I have hover on the table instead of the first row, but when I get the first row a class name and hover on that (note "h2" for the first menu", it doesn't work. I'm really not sure why that is.would appreciate any help, I suppose I could always scrap the table and trying again with ULs, but hoping to avoid that.thanks<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD/XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN""http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd"><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="en" lang="en"><head><style type="text/css" media="all">body { margin: 0; padding: 0; width: 100%; height: 100%; overflow: auto;}#navbar { width: 100%; height: 30px; font-size: 16px !important; border: thin blue; background-color: #497FBF; position: relative; z-index: 1;}.menu { background-color: #497FBF;/* visibility: hidden;*/ display: none;}.heading { text-align: center; float: left; width: 15%; border: none;}.heading tr td { padding: 4px 0px 5px 0px;}.heading tr td{ border-right: 1px solid blue; border-bottom: 1px solid blue;}.menu td{ border-left: 1px solid blue; border-top: 0; border-right: 1px solid blue; border-bottom: 1px solid blue;}.heading:hover .menu { /* visibility: visible; */ display: block;}.heading:hover { background-color: #00B5EF;}.navlink { display: block; width: 100%; color: black; text-decoration: none;}</style></head><body><div id="navbar"><table class="heading" cellspacing="0"><tr class="h2"><td>Screen Size</td></tr><tr class="menu"><td><a class="navlink" href="#" >Small</a></td></tr><tr class="menu"><td><a class="navlink" href="#" >Medium</a></td></tr><tr class="menu"><td><a class="navlink" href="#" >Large</a></td></tr></table><table class="heading" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Font Size</td></tr><tr class="menu"><td><a class="navlink" href="#">Small</a></td></tr><tr class="menu"><td><a class="navlink" href="#">Medium</a></td></tr><tr class="menu"><td><a class="navlink" href="#">Large</a></td></tr><tr class="menu"><td><a class="navlink" href="#">X-Large</a></td></tr></table></div></body></html>

That's because tables, table rows and table cells aren't displayed as blocks like other elements are.When using visibility: hidden, the element is still there takes up space, and you can still hover over it even if it can't be seen.

Archived