Can't I Just Block All Ie Users? :)

MrFish

I've got a days work ahead of me? Or maybe I could just block anyone who uses IE :)fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.jpgI'm not mad. I'm not, really.

I'm furious.

Yes, web developers should start a revolution. Block all ie users with conditional comments! MAYBE allow IE8 and newer... maybe.I love that ruling that against Microsoft from the European Union's Competition Commission forcing MS to offer windows users a choice in browsers on new installs.From Ars Technica

Earlier this month, word came out that Microsoft was looking to make this matter go away, and it may have succeeded; the European Commission has just announced that Microsoft has agreed to proposed EU remedies and is willing to offer a "browser ballot" to new users.

Yes, web developers should start a revolution. Block all ie users with conditional comments! MAYBE allow IE8 and newer... maybe.I love that ruling that against Microsoft from the European Union's Competition Commission forcing MS to offer windows users a choice in browsers on new installs.From Ars Technica
Unfortunately, most companies won't want to hire you if you are rejecting a 50% of the Internet users.

Unfortunately, most companies won't want to hire you if you are rejecting a 50% of the Internet users.
Well ya... that's the thing eh. It's just a seductive idea.I think as time goes on though it's going to become easier to make cross browser web sites. For example you don't have to develop for IE5 anymore... give it some time and IE6 might join 5.

Very Funny, but seriously hating the player isn't going to make playing the game any easier.I agree with Ingolme, you must have done something really special to get it that screwed up in IE8; I'd hate to see it in IE6!!!Didn't know about the EU ruling, not sure I agree that MS ought to be forced to promote competing products, as long as they don't prevent or sabotage the installation of a separate browser I'd think they're in the clear. Like it or not IE is part of the OS, you can opt not to use it but I'd hate to see what would be left of Windows if you gutted IE.

Very Funny, but seriously hating the player isn't going to make playing the game any easier.I agree with Ingolme, you must have done something really special to get it that screwed up in IE8; I'd hate to see it in IE6!!!Didn't know about the EU ruling, not sure I agree that MS ought to be forced to promote competing products, as long as they don't prevent or sabotage the installation of a separate browser I'd think they're in the clear. Like it or not IE is part of the OS, you can opt not to use it but I'd hate to see what would be left of Windows if you gutted IE.
When you think of it, ya, it seems silly that Microsoft is being forced to promote competing products. But still, the web is such an integral part of mainstream society... why should one company have a monopoly over how we use the web (not a monopoly any more, but it was not too long ago). Ya, WE have a choice in what web browser we use, but does your average user have a choice?
I mean, what motivation does MS have to make IE a quality product if it has 70% of the market share with IE being a POS. To be fair though, to the end-user (even to developers for the most part), IE8 is actually decent.

Archived