$_get Variables Issue

djp1988

I have a url with which I am doing a rewrite, the page displays photos, and at request, I'm adding extra features, one of which is the possibility to search specific photos according to a key word, here is an example:www.mydomain.com/photo/france/=> shows a page with photos from franceI am letting people search for photos from france with an extra keyword, say "castle" so I thought I could just add for example:www.mydomain.com/photo/france/?photo=castleBut it doesn't seem I can add the extra GET variable like thisWhat can I do ? I would prefer to avoid doing more rewrites, so this result isn't really what I'm looking at: www.mydomain.com/photo/france/castle/This is only because I have another variable, the page number so I sometimes have:www.mydomain.com/photo/france/3/And it just gets more complicated if I add the extra key word to the url as part of the rewrite

I usually program my rewrites to accept a '?' and other variables at the end of the URL to add any possible variables I might want to add later.Something like this:^regular expression\??([^\?]*)$

I like to have a single RewriteRule like this:

RewriteRule ^([^\_].*)/ /index.php?uri=%{REQUEST_URI}&%{QUERY_STRING}

So that every URL that doesn't start with "_" is mapped to a single PHP file, and if you want, you can still have a query string.You'll need to manually manage the rest of your URI though. With this system,www.mydomain.com/photo/france/?photo=castlewill be rewritten towww.mydomain.com/index.php?uri=photo/france/&photo=castleandwww.mydomain.com/photo/france/3/will be rewritten towww.mydomain.com/index.php?uri=photo/france/3/&Don't forget to prefix static resources with "_" though, so that for example, you can havewww.mydomain.com/_style.cssand/orwww.mydomain.com/_scripts/main.js"as is", and not being rewritten.

I usually program my rewrites to accept a '?' and other variables at the end of the URL to add any possible variables I might want to add later.Something like this:^regular expression\??([^\?]*)$
I prefer this solution, it looks more suited to my problem, but I'm not sure how to implement it... my rewrite is:
RewriteEngine onRewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)/([0-9]+)$ /species/$1\_$2\/$3/ [R]RewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)$ /species/$1\_$2\/ [R]RewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)/([0-9]+)/$ /species.php?g=$1&s=$2&page=$3RewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)/$ /species.php?g=$1&s=$2

So firstly i make sure there's a slash on the end, that's the first two lines, and then I call a species page with the 2 or 3 variables to show pictures of that animal (i was talking about countries before, but it's animals).My first attempt would be:

RewriteEngine onRewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)/([0-9]+)$ /species/$1\_$2\/$3/ [R]RewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)$ /species/$1\_$2\/ [R]RewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)/([0-9]+)/$ /species.php?g=$1&s=$2&page=$3RewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)/([0-9]+)/\??([^\?]*)$ /species.php?g=$1&s=$2&page=$3&$4RewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)/$ /species.php?g=$1&s=$2RewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)/\??([^\?]*)$ /species.php?g=$1&s=$2&$3

My first attempt looks good but it doesn't seem to be working...

Add [QSA] at the end of your rewrite lines, Otherwise the rewrite won't even see anything beyond the '?'Example:

RewriteRule ^species/([^_/]*)_([^_/]*)/([0-9]+)/$ /species.php?g=$1&s=$2&page=$3 [QSA]

Archived