Rollover With Background Image Looks Distorted When Link Is Added...

mboehler3

Hi, I am working on the navigation for my website. I want to create a rounded-corners look to my drop down menu, so I have created a background-image used for the first and last tabs on the drop-down. Without adding a link to the first tab, it looks fine:rollover-link1.gifBut when I just add a <a href="#"> </a> around it, it looks like this:rollover-link2.gifHere is my HTML Code, with the a href added:

<div id="navmenu" class="navmenu960"><ul><li><a href="/product/payroll/" class="payroll"><strong>Payroll</strong></a>	<ul>	<li class="top"><div style="padding-top:20px;"><a href="#">How it works</a></div></li>	<li><a href="#" class="bckground">Payroll Features</a>		<ul>		<li class="top">Accounting Software Integration</li>		<li><a href="/product/payroll/time-clock-integration.asp" class="bckground">Time Clock Integration</a></li>		<li><a href="/product/payroll/1-clickpayroll.asp" class="bckground">1-Click™ Technology</a></li>		<li><a href="#" class="bckground">Security</a></li>		<li><a href="#" class="bckground">iPhone & Mobile Users</a></li>		<li class="bottom"></li>		</ul>	</li>

And here is my CSS:

#navmenu {margin-right:-30px;margin-left:-30px;background-color: #88ac2e;height: 30px;}.navmenu960 ul{margin: 0;padding: 0;list-style-type: none;  font-size: 14px;font-family: Arial;z-index:4;}.navmenu960 ul li{position: relative;display: inline;float: left;text-align: left;font-size: 14px;color:#ffffff;z-index:15;}.navmenu960 ul li a{display: block;background: #88ac2e;color: white;padding: 3px 27px 0px;font-size: 15px;text-decoration: none;}.navmenu960 ul li a.payroll {display: block;background: #88ac2e;color: white;padding: 3px 20px 0px 25px;font-size: 15px;text-decoration: none;}.navmenu960 ul li a.aboutus {display: block;background: #88ac2e;color: white;padding: 3px 10px 0px 40px;font-size: 15px;text-decoration: none;}* html .navmenu960 ul li a{ /*IE6 hack to get sub menu links to behave correctly*/display: inline-block;}.navmenu960 ul li a:hover{background: #ffffff; /*tab link background during hover state*/height: 27px;color: #88ac2e;display: block;}.navmenu960 ul li ul{position: absolute;left: 0;display: block;visibility: hidden;padding-left: 0px;padding-top: 5px; /*margin between li and drop-down menu*/}.navmenu960 ul li ul li{display: list-item;float: none;}.navmenu960 ul li ul li a.bckground {background-image: url('/images/v1_1/surechoice/subnav-bckground.gif');}.navmenu960 ul li ul li ul li a.bckground {background-image: url('/images/v1_1/surechoice/subsubnavbckground.gif');}	.navmenu960 ul li ul li.bottom {background: url('/images/v1_1/surechoice/main-bot1.gif') no-repeat 0 0; font-weight:bold; font-family:Arial; font-size:13px; height:34px; display:block; width:251px; padding-left:25px;}.navmenu960 ul li ul li.bottom:hover{background-position: 0 -34px; color: #88ac2e; width:251px;}.navmenu960 ul li ul li.top {background-image: url('/images/v1_1/surechoice/main-top1.gif'); background-repeat:no-repeat; height:45px; font-size:13px; font-weight:bold; display:block; padding-left:25px; width:251px;}.navmenu960 ul li ul li.top:hover{background-position: 0 -45px; color: #88ac2e; width:251px;}.navmenu960 ul li ul li ul li.top {background-image: url('/images/v1_1/surechoice/sub-top1.gif'); height:33px; display:block; width:255px;}.navmenu960 ul li ul li ul li.top:hover{background-position: 0 -33px; color: #88ac2e; width:255px;}.navmenu960 ul li ul li ul li.bottom {background-image: url('/images/v1_1/surechoice/subnav-bot1.gif'); height:8px; display:block; width:251px;}.navmenu960 ul li ul li a {font: normal 13px Arial;font-weight:bold;width: 220px; /*width of sub menus*/padding: 5px;margin: 0;padding-left:25px;}   .navmenu960 ul li ul li ul {position: absolute;left: 0;display: block;visibility: hidden;padding-left:-50px;padding-top: 0px; /*margin between li and drop-down menu*/}.navmenu960 ul li ul li a.payroll {font: bold 13px Arial;width: 220px; /*width of sub menus*/padding: 5px;margin: 0;border-top-width: 0;padding-left:25px;background-image:url('/images/960/global/header-carrot-right.gif');background-repeat:no-repeat;background-position:right;}   .navmenu960 ul li ul li a:hover{ /*sub menus hover style*/background: #ffffff;color: #88ac2e;height:16px;border: solid 0px #ccc;}.navmenu960 ul li ul li ul li a:hover{ /*sub menus hover style*/background: #ffffff;color: #88ac2e;height:16px;border: solid 0px #ccc;}.subnavcarrot{background-position:right;}

Thank you for your help,

The problem is that your li.top declaration has padding-left:25px So the <a> element within is pushed 25px to the right.
Well I need to use the padding in order to get my text aligned with the other links... so when I went into my code and removed the padding declaration, this is what I see:rollover-link4.gifSo it's now completely ignoring my background image... but at least it has the padding! What can I change in my CSS to display the entire background image?

Well I need to use the padding in order to get my text aligned with the other links... so when I went into my code and removed the padding declaration, this is what I see:rollover-link4.gifSo it's now completely ignoring my background image... but at least it has the padding! What can I change in my CSS to display the entire background image?
Is something overriding the background image to give it that green color?

Check the li.top declaration to see what's in it.Also, in this line:

<li class="top"><div style="padding-top:20px;"><a href="#">How it works</a></div></li>

You can remove the <div> element and apply the padding right to the li.top element

Archived