Online Ordering System For Restaurant

Sikkario

I am interested in creating an online ordering system for my restaurant. I dabble in Web Design and have built my own site, and figure that some of you web gurus would know the best way to do this.I'd like to have online ordering, with an interface like any other ecommerce system, perhaps linked with zencart and 2checkout, but of course containing the time the item needing to be cooked, the time it is needed, contact information for customer, but then have the order print by fax into the restaurant, into email containing the relevant information.What do you guys think, how would you do this in my position?

Custom system.
Not necessarily.There are plenty of these types of systems available in the industry - its just a matter of budget. If you've never build anything related to e-commerce, then I'd shy aware from this level of responsibility to get your feet wet. Depending on your requirements and how refined they are, you have many options.You could build something that collects the order information and then sends and e-mail to the staff who call back to confirm the order and collect the payment and confirm pickup/delivery. Its a safe way of doing things and can be sold as a customer service quality control measure. This you could do with a relatively small budget and no e-commerce worries.If this whole process is proven successful with the restaurant, then you can explore the next step - incorporating the e-commerce element or purchasing a full-blown system like what merosys.com and delphissoftware.com offer.

Not necessarily.There are plenty of these types of systems available in the industry - its just a matter of budget. If you've never build anything related to e-commerce, then I'd shy aware from this level of responsibility to get your feet wet. Depending on your requirements and how refined they are, you have many options.You could build something that collects the order information and then sends and e-mail to the staff who call back to confirm the order and collect the payment and confirm pickup/delivery. Its a safe way of doing things and can be sold as a customer service quality control measure. This you could do with a relatively small budget and no e-commerce worries.If this whole process is proven successful with the restaurant, then you can explore the next step - incorporating the e-commerce element or purchasing a full-blown system like what merosys.com and delphissoftware.com offer.
Is there anyway I could program to send an email to spit out a fax (or just print of course)...if so what would I use for this? DOT NET?

I would suggest using the same language your original E-commerce system.You can use certain types of modems to send faxes (on the server-side).

Is there anyway I could program to send an email to spit out a fax (or just print of course)...if so what would I use for this? DOT NET?
For starters, you might consider a service provider to do this:metrohispeed.com, srfax.com, srfax.com (no affiliation)To give you an example, if you use a $10 a month service:
  • 10 online orders = $1 per order
  • 100 online orders = 10 cents per order
  • 1000 online orders = 1 cent per order

You would do the math to see if that was worth it - especially against your time/cost to develop it.

For starters, you might consider a service provider to do this:metrohispeed.com, srfax.com, srfax.com (no affiliation)To give you an example, if you use a $10 a month service:
  • 10 online orders = $1 per order
  • 100 online orders = 10 cents per order
  • 1000 online orders = 1 cent per order

You would do the math to see if that was worth it - especially against your time/cost to develop it.

The system's I've seen are more like 50-200 a month.

The system's I've seen are more like 50-200 a month.
Very possible - I only wanted to point out how you can evaluate its worth. There are points at which online ordering is simply not cost effective. One measure I've not mentioned yet is to figure out what your current dine-in versus take-out order count is. That will give you an idea if its worth it. Also, if you move to online ordering for your restaurant, the next question you will surely get (if not already but especially if one can order online) is "do you deliver".If you look at the business logic - if you offer online orders for a restaurant - do you really need payment if you are not delivering? You could take payment when they arrive. And if you are worried about theft of services, then you could take the credit card online and process it offline. Either way good planning and know the numbers behind it will definitely make the decision much easier.

Archived