Sessions And Session Variables

creacon

I have two consecutive apges (i.e. 1 loads 2) where I'm trying to pass information via a session variable, but when form 2 fetches the session variable, it's empty.Here's the page 1 code:

<?php	// If no session, start one	if (!isset($_SESSION)) 	{	  session_start();	}		// When the submit button is pressed,	if (isset($_POST['submit']))		{    			// gather the entered form data                                $fstname  = $_POST["fstname"];		$midinit  = $_POST["midinitial"];		$lastname = $_POST["lastname"];		$dob	  = $_POST["dob"];		$ssn	  = $_POST["ssn"];		$staddr1  = $_POST["staddr1"];		$staddr2  = $_POST["staddr2"];		$city	  = $_POST["city"];		$state	  = $_POST["state"];		$zip	  = $_POST["zip"];		$phone	  = $_POST["phone"];		// Set up the Full Name string                                $milen = (strlen($_POST['midinitial']));		$fnlen = (strlen($_POST['firstname']));		if ($fnlen == 1)			{$fstname = $fstname.".";}		if ($milen == 0)			{$fullname = $fstname." ".$lastname;}		else			{$fullname = $fstname." ".$midinit.". ".$lastname;}					// Combine the two address fields		$staddr = $staddr1." ".$staddr2;		$ctstzp = $city.", ".$state." ".$zip;		                                // Create & Assign a session variable		$_SESSION['$strname'] = $fullname;                                // Then display if for debugging purposes		echo "Fullname = |".$_SESSION['$strname']."|";				// Finally, load the questionnaire form after a 10 second delay for debugging		echo '<META http-equiv="refresh" content="10;URL=WOTCPg2.php">';	//		header('Location: WOTCPg2.php');		}?><html>  <head> 

and here's the <form> tag that executes it (just in case you need to see it).

<form name="QstnrPg0" method="post" onSubmit="return show_message();" action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>">

Here's the code at the top of page two:

<?php                // When the Submit button is pressed, go to the log off page	if (isset($_POST['submit'])){		header("Location: WOTCLogoff.php");}                // Otherwise set upt the information for the page heading	else{    			// retrieve the session variable from page 1			$fullname =$_SESSION['$strname'];                                                               // and echo its contents for debugging purposes		echo "Session Variable =  |".$_SESSION['$strname;']."|";}	?> <html>  <head>

The first page displays the session variable exactly as assigned, but on the second page the retrieved session variable is empty.When I run the pages on my local host (i.e. xampp) I get the following warning messages as soon as the page opens.

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at C:\xampp\htdocs\IOD\WOTCPg1.php:5) in C:\xampp\htdocs\IOD\WOTCPg1.php on line 10Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at C:\xampp\htdocs\IOD\WOTCPg1.php:5) in C:\xampp\htdocs\IOD\WOTCPg1.php on line 10

They DO NOT display when I run the pages on my remote server. What do those warnings mean???? What am I missing or doing wrong????

First, you should always be using session_start. Don't check if $_SESSION is set, it's always set. Always use session_start regardless. The session_start function isn't only for creating a new session, it also starts the user's existing session.For the other warnings, check this thread:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...ost&p=96607

First, you should always be using session_start. Don't check if $_SESSION is set, it's always set. Always use session_start regardless. The session_start function isn't only for creating a new session, it also starts the user's existing session.For the other warnings, check this thread:http://w3schools.invisionzone.com/index.ph...ost&p=96607
Thanks for your feedback and the link. That fixed everythin up fine. I did the rearrangement, and removed the if from the session_start, and now everything's working.Thanks again.

Now that I got that working, I tried to change the code to what I really wanted to do. In page 1 I have:
		// Start or Continue a session			session_start();		// When the submit button is pressed,	if (isset($_POST['submit']))		{    			// gather the entered form data                                $fstname  = $_POST["fstname"];		$midinit  = $_POST["midinitial"];		$lastname = $_POST["lastname"];		$dob	  = $_POST["dob"];		$ssn	  = $_POST["ssn"];		$staddr1  = $_POST["staddr1"];		$staddr2  = $_POST["staddr2"];		$city	  = $_POST["city"];		$state	  = $_POST["state"];		$zip	  = $_POST["zip"];		$phone	  = $_POST["phone"];		// Set up the Full Name string                                $milen = (strlen($_POST['midinitial']));		$fnlen = (strlen($_POST['firstname']));		if ($fnlen == 1)			{$fstname = $fstname.".";}		if ($milen == 0)			{$fullname = $fstname." ".$lastname;}		else			{$fullname = $fstname." ".$midinit.". ".$lastname;}					// Combine the two address fields		$staddr = $staddr1." ".$staddr2;		$ctstzp = $city.", ".$state." ".$zip;				// Generate an array from the above data		$strappl = $fullname."\",\"".$dob."\",\"".$ssn."\",\"".$staddr."\",\"".$ctstzp."\",\"".$phone;		$arrappl = Explode(",",$strappl );		// Then declare a session variable &		// assign the form data array to it		$_SESSION['$sesarrappl'] = $arrappl;				// Finally, load the questionnaire form		echo '<META http-equiv="refresh" content="10;URL=WOTCPg2.php">'; // 10 seconds for degug	//		header('Location: WOTCPg2.php');		}?>

Then in the second page, I have:

<?php		// Continue the session	session_start();	if (isset($_POST['submit'])){//		header("Location: [url="https://www.8f7.com/4DACTION/WebShowMenu&quot%3b%29;"]https://www.8f7.com/4DACTION/WebShowMenu");[/url]		header("Location: WOTCLogoff.php");}	else{    			$applarr  = $_SESSION['$sesarrappl'];		$fullname = $applarr[0].", DOB".$applarr[1];}	?> 

And finally in the <form tag I have:

<input name="fullname" type="text" id="fullname" value="<?php echo $fullname; ?>" size="45" maxlength="45">

The problem is that the value= ONLY prints the first element of the variable. The field length is 45, and the data are much less. If, in the php code I set $fullname = " DOB", the text field will display that, but if I do any concatenation at all, ONLY the first element displays. Can anyone tell me what causes this? Previously, when I was saving the data to a file in page 1, then reading the file in page 2, it worked correctly (e.g. it displayed "Dudley D. Doright, DOB 12/31/1966").

First, it's probably better not to use $ in array keys, that's going to cause a problem if you use double quotes with the key. You can just leave that out, e.g.:$_SESSION['sesarrappl'] = $arrappl;Also, instead of doing this:

$strappl = $fullname."\",\"".$dob."\",\"".$ssn."\",\"".$staddr."\",\"".$ctstzp."\",\"".$phone;$arrappl = Explode(",",$strappl );

you can just do this:

$arrappl = array($fullname, $dob, $ssn, $staddr, $ctstzp, $phone);

or, if you want to use names for keys:

$arrappl = array(  'fullname' => $fullname,   'dob' => $dob,   'ssn' => $ssn,   'staddr' => $staddr,   'ctstzp' => $ctstzp,   'phone' => $phone);

On the second page, after you get the array from the session use print_r to see what's in it:print_r($applarr);

VOILA! That did the trick. Now it works. I swear, I don't know where I'd be if it weren't for all you guys. I can't thank you enough; you've been so helpful to a newbie dinosaur like me. For all the world, after 50 years of programming, when I look at this web programming I feel like I've never even seen a computer before, let alone program one. When I learned Paradox, I thought that it had to be the most complex languange on the planet, but boy was I wrong.Anyway, I'm going to learn this if it kills me (and at 77, maybe that's a good thing), so thanks again for all your help, and see you at my next problem. (LOL).

Archived