Check For Existing Email Address Fails

son

I have a basic registration system which should bring up the error message 'That email address has already been registered.' when someone tries to register with already registered email address. Although I do my check with $emailQuery when entering an existing email address is always brings up the error message for the failed insert query ($query). This query should only be run when the email address is not available. I echoed $emailQuery and copied it into phpMyAdmin. The query correctly brings back the relevant user_id. I am lost with this one... Where am I going wrong?

if ($first_name && $last_name && $email) // if everything filled out ok	{ 	// make sure the email address is available	$emailQuery = "SELECT user_id FROM users WHERE email='$email'";			$emailResult = mysqli_query ($dbc, $emailQuery) or trigger_error("Query: $emailQuery\n<br />MySQL Error: " . mysql_error());		if (mysqli_num_rows($dbc, $emailResult) == 1) // email address is not available		{ 		echo '<p>That email address has already been registered. </p>'; 				} 		else // the email address is available		{ 		// add the user		$query = "INSERT INTO users (email, first_name, last_name) VALUES ('$email', '$first_name', '$last_name')";				$result = mysqli_query ($dbc, $query) or trigger_error("Query: $query\n<br />MySQL Error: " . mysql_error());			if (mysqli_affected_rows($dbc) == 1) // If it ran ok			{ 			// send the email			$body = "Thank you for registering with us.\n";			mail($_POST['email'], 'Registration Confirmation', $body, 'From: info@testing.co.uk');			// finish the page       		header ("Location: register-success.php");			} 			else // if it did not run ok			{ 			echo '<p>You could not be registered due to a system error. We apologise for any inconvenience.</p>'; 			}				}	} 	else // if one of the data tests failed	{ 	echo '<p>You have entered some data incorrectly. </p>';	}

Any help appreciated...Son

Shouldn't this line:if (mysqli_num_rows($dbc, $emailResult) == 1) // email address is not availablebe:if (mysqli_num_rows($emailResult) == 1) // email address is not available?It's not pssible you've got more than one record with the same e-mail address due to testing before you added that check, is it?

Shouldn't this line:if (mysqli_num_rows($dbc, $emailResult) == 1) // email address is not availablebe:if (mysqli_num_rows($emailResult) == 1) // email address is not available?It's not pssible you've got more than one record with the same e-mail address due to testing before you added that check, is it?
Realised that i made a mistake and corrected this to:if (mysqli_num_rows($emailResult) == 1) // email address is not availableStill same result (email address not twice in database, checked this directly via PhpMyAdmin). I just do not get it...Son

I assume that when you check $first_name, $last_name and $email you have already pulled these values from the $_POST array and sanitized them etc.?

Print the return value from mysqli_num_rows, see what it's returning.
When I insert:$ha = mysql_num_rows($emailResult); var_dump ($ha);it says that it is a false bool. My rountines to check for email is:
// check for an email	if (!isset($_POST['email']) OR empty($_POST['email'])) {		$email = FALSE;		$errors['email'] = '\'Email Address\' is a required field';		} else {			if (eregi ('^[[:alnum:]][a-z0-9_\.\-]*@[a-z0-9\.\-]+\.[a-z]{2,4}$', stripslashes(trim($_POST['email'])))) {				$email = escape_data($_POST['email']);				$email_echo = $email;				$emailCheck = $_POST['email'];			} else {			$email = FALSE;			$errors['email'] = '\'Email Address\' seems to be incorrect';			}		}

I tried to use $emailCheck with same result...Son

Are you using the mysql or mysqli version? If it's returning false that means the query failed.
You got it straight to the point, I was using mysqli|-) I stared hours at the code and could not see this...Cheers, mate. Great help:-)Son

Archived