Limiting Queries

Cod-nes

I have a sql table called menu. In the table I have menu links with parents and childs. Example:-> parent #1--> child #1--> child #2-> parent #2--> child #1

idlinknamepower // 1 if parent and 2 if childunder //if childorder
But I have too many queries sent to the database and I was wondering how can I limit the queries.Part of the code.
// already connected to sql host and database$query = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM menu where power = 1 ORDER BY order");while($row =  mysql_fetch_array($query)){echo "<a href='{$row['link']}'>{$row['name']}</a><br>/n";$query2 = mysql_query("SELECT * FROM menu where under = {$row['id']} ORDER BY order");$query3 = mysql_num_rows($query2);if($query3 >= 1) { while($row2 = mysql_fetch_array($query2))   {  echo "-> <a href='{$row2['link']}'>{$row2['name']}</a>";  } }}

If you can only have one level of child items, you can add a sort order column to the table and just sort both parents and children out in the order you want them to show up. You can use the power column to figure out if you indent it before displaying it.

If you can only have one level of child items, you can add a sort order column to the table and just sort both parents and children out in the order you want them to show up. You can use the power column to figure out if you indent it before displaying it.
How can I do that?

Try something like this:

<?// <-- Connect to database here$result = mysql_query ("SELECT * FROM menu WHERE power='1' ORDER BY order") or die(mysql_error());$rownum = mysql_num_rows ($result);$i = 0;while ($i < $rownum) {   $under_id = mysql_result($result,$i,'id');   $under_list .= $under_id.',';   $i++;}// Remove the last ',' from the list for a safer query$under_list = substr($under_list,0,-1);// Get the under stuff$get = mysql_query ("SELECT * FROM menu WHERE under IN($under_list) ORDER BY order") or die(mysql_error());// <-- Close database here$gnum = mysql_num_rows ($get);$g = 0;// Reset i$i = 0;while ($i < $rownum) {   $parentid = mysql_result($result,$i,'id');   echo '<a href="'.mysql_result($result,$i,'link').'">'.mysql_result($result,$i,'name').'</a><br>/n';   while ($g < $gnum) {	  if ($parentid == mysql_result($get,$g,'under')) {		 echo '-> <a href="'.mysql_result($get,$g,'link').'">'.mysql_result($get,$g,'name').'</a>';	  }	  $g++;   }   // Reset g   $g = 0;   $i++;}?>

In total it uses 2 queries instead of x + (child * x).I haven't tested it but I'm sure the syntax is correct.Hope it helps!

Archived