Serious Website Update - Ncaa Tourney Site

col_potatoe

Back in 2001 I designed a website for a hobby of mine. I truly enjoy the game of basketball and have always enjoyed the NCAA Tournament. So, I designed a site where users could register, make their picks, and based on a point system they could win prizes. It has a leaderboard, stats about the game and the users who are playing it and everything. Same as ESPN, but less users (A few 100) and not a million dollars (I can't afford that one.)The site is not working now, because I take it down after the tournament is over, however it is in need of a serious upgrade.CURRENTLY IT RUNS ON...1.) An Access Database (handles user data, login, brackets, everything)2.) Totally designed in ASP (the old one, not .net) with Javascript used to help with refreshing the webpage after a selection is made in someone's bracket.So, my questions are and please give lots of details as I've been away from programming for some time, but still have the thirst to do it (different job now)...1.) What program language should I recode it in to work on any server? (PHP, ASP.NET, CSS, ETC, ETC)2.) What backend database should I use? Keep Access, use MySQL, thoughts?3.) Would like to combine data for all 8 years (I have an access database for each year I've had the game.) this thing has been running into one so people can see how good/bad they've done over the years of playing the game on my site.4.) Is there any way to have my site feed information like NCAA Basketball News and Scores?5.) I was using a form, javascript, and ASP to fill in the brackets, is Adobe Flash the way to go or is there something better out there?6.) Any other advice or thoughts would be great.7.) Do you know of any good poll scripts with bar graphs and such?8.) If any of these tasks already have a script our there that I can download, please link to it!Again, this is a hobby of mine and I would love to make it more up to date, faster, and easier to use. Looking for advice from developers/designers that are in the thick of code every day. Thanks!RESOURCES AT MY DISPOSAL- Windows Based Server- Adobe Dreamweaver & Flash CS4 (Just acquired)

well the critiques forum is more oriented to live sites, or those in the phases of completion, so maybe the general forum would be a good place to try this question out?I'm fairly new to databases and backend services, but I would say if you have been using ASP and Access, then maybe it would be easier to stick with those.

Access is horrible at handling multiple connections, so if you want to stay with MS technologies then it would be advisable to use SQL Server. ASP.NET is also much a much better choice than ASP. All the other points can be addressed, however, with most server-side languages (note CSS isn't a server-side language), so it is up to you to choose which one is easiest for you. As per (5), I'm not sure what you mean by "brackets" but it doesn't sound like Flash would be a good idea.Note that SQL server license have to be purchased separately from Windows Server.

Archived