Cross-browser/cross-os Fonts

shadowayex

I'm looking into trying to make a heading on a site I'm making have a little fancy to it's font. The problem is, I want to make sure the font I use is cross-browser and cross-OS. Specifically speaking, I'm looking for a curvy, italic-like font, if anyone knows of a safe one.I did some Googling and found @font-face, which I understand for the most part.I was just seeing if anyone knew of a list I could look through or one right offhand before I did anything with @font-face.

I think font support is based on the OS or what the user has downloaded. To be completely sure when trying to achieve fancy fonts, images are recommended.this could help.http://www.ampsoft.net/webdesign-l/WindowsMacFonts.html

The font menu at the top of this board's textarea lists fonts that most systems share.Trebuchet MS italicized might work. Most systems have a version of Chancery, though it goes by different names, like Zapf Chancery or Apple Chancery. It's too curvy for my taste, but worth thinking about.

http://www.spoono.com/html/tutorials/tutorial.php?id=19Try this link. It'll get you started. The .eot filetype mentioned only works for IE, but if you add an extra line in the @fontface code to embed a .ttf version of the font file as well, you have full cross browser support. Unfortunately, you need both files uploaded because IE doesn't recognize .ttf files.

@font-face isa now widely supported with the exception of Chrome 1 and 2 and Safari on Windows. Chrome 3 will have built in support for @font-face, Safari on Window...I don't know. If you are looking for free fonts and correct cross-browser formats, I use Font Squirrel, loads of free fonts and downloadable 'font kits' that contain all necessary formats and CSS.

@font-face isa now widely supported with the exception of Chrome 1 and 2 and Safari on Windows. Chrome 3 will have built in support for @font-face, Safari on Window...I don't know. If you are looking for free fonts and correct cross-browser formats, I use Font Squirrel, loads of free fonts and downloadable 'font kits' that contain all necessary formats and CSS.
I can confirm that the most recent releases of Safari do support @font-face.

Archived